how can i merge or convert different partions ?

how can i merge or convert different partions ?

Post by mado » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:50:04

hde1, linux
hde2, ntfs
hde5\6, linux swap
hde7, fat32

i have 2 idea, i wonder if any of them could be done

1, merge hde1 & hde2
2, convert hde7 from fat32 to linux

of course, files on these patitions can't be removed !
else, i won't ask , :-(

any help would be appreciated

--
http://madogcc.myip.org

how can i merge or convert different partions ?

Post by mado » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:54:00

sorry, files on hde1 & hde7 need to be hold
hde2 can totally removed

--
http://madogcc.myip.org

| hde1, linux
| hde2, ntfs
| hde5\6, linux swap
| hde7, fat32
|
| i have 2 idea, i wonder if any of them could be done
|
| 1, merge hde1 & hde2
| 2, convert hde7 from fat32 to linux
|
| of course, files on these patitions can't be removed !
| else, i won't ask , :-(
|
| any help would be appreciated

how can i merge or convert different partions ?

Post by Ross Coolin » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:32:27

Patition Magic from PowerQuest should work fine.

> hde1, linux
> hde2, ntfs
> hde5\6, linux swap
> hde7, fat32

> i have 2 idea, i wonder if any of them could be done

> 1, merge hde1 & hde2
> 2, convert hde7 from fat32 to linux

> of course, files on these patitions can't be removed !
> else, i won't ask , :-(

> any help would be appreciated

> http://madogcc.myip.org

how can i merge or convert different partions ?

Post by mado » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:21:52

thanks, but any other way ? i don't trust it much

while using it conver patitions, some people say they made it and some say
they failed
it seems it's a 50/50 chance, :-(

--
madogcc.myip.org

| Patition Magic from PowerQuest should work fine.
|

| > hde1, linux
| > hde2, ntfs
| > hde5\6, linux swap
| > hde7, fat32
| >
| > i have 2 idea, i wonder if any of them could be done
| >
| > 1, merge hde1 & hde2
| > 2, convert hde7 from fat32 to linux
| >
| > of course, files on these patitions can't be removed !
| > else, i won't ask , :-(
| >
| > any help would be appreciated
| >
| > http://madogcc.myip.org

how can i merge or convert different partions ?

Post by Ross Coolin » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 07:50:53

I trust Partition Magic, but I understand being reluctant if you've had, or
know of, bad experiences. Similar questions have been asked before in Linux
and/or Windows newsgroups. There are other similar programs, but I don't
recall specifics. You could try using a search engine for partition
software. Good luck!

> thanks, but any other way ? i don't trust it much

> while using it conver patitions, some people say they made it and some say
> they failed
> it seems it's a 50/50 chance, :-(

> madogcc.myip.org

> | Patition Magic from PowerQuest should work fine.
> |

> | > hde1, linux
> | > hde2, ntfs
> | > hde5\6, linux swap
> | > hde7, fat32
> | >
> | > i have 2 idea, i wonder if any of them could be done
> | >
> | > 1, merge hde1 & hde2
> | > 2, convert hde7 from fat32 to linux
> | >
> | > of course, files on these patitions can't be removed !
> | > else, i won't ask , :-(
> | >
> | > any help would be appreciated
> | >
> | > http://madogcc.myip.org

how can i merge or convert different partions ?

Post by Paul Evan » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:18:24

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:50:53 -0400

> I trust Partition Magic, but I understand being reluctant if you've had,
> or
> know of, bad experiences. Similar questions have been asked before in
> Linux
> and/or Windows newsgroups. There are other similar programs, but I don't
> recall specifics. You could try using a search engine for partition
> software. Good luck!

I have PMagic, and apart from it's slight paranoia, it's fine :)

The paranoia is useful in that it'll stop it doing anything dodgy, but I
find it gets in the way sometimes when it doesn't need to (it aborts
operations, for example, if the order of the entries in the partition
table is not the same as the order of the partitions - a little extreme I
think.)

Other than that, try GNU parted. I've got it but not used it. But I hear
it's good - if you can get along with the interface. It's quite different
to PMagic - run:

parted /dev/hda

And you'll see what I mean!

--
Paul Evans

(1st Year Maths & CompSci at Pembroke College, Cambridge, England)

ICQ# 4135350

Post by Dave Bro » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:53:28

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:50:53 -0400

>> I trust Partition Magic, but I understand being reluctant if you've had,

I've used PM v6 quite a bit.  I've completely reorganized 2 disk consisting
of a variety of ext2 and FAT32 partitions.  If you've ever used it, you
know that you can set up a sequence of operations, and run them in a batch.
I've had several instances where it would hang after completing one operation,
I had to reboot do the next operation... but it never screwed anything up.

One disk I reorganized had a partition table that PM rejected, and Gnu parted
also rejected it, but Linux fdisk would still work with it.  I wrote down
all the cylinder setting of each partition, deleted them (except for the
Windows partiton), rewrote them with Linux fdisk, and then PM okayed the
partition table, and allowed me to resize everything.

I used Gnu parted once, to resize a couple of partitions, but I couldn't
get parted, or e2resize (whatever it's called) to resize.  I ended up
simple wiping that fs out, recreating a filesystem, and restoring from
backup.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

how can i merge or convert different partions ?

Post by Naftali Sal » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:18:10

in Kernel  2.4.x LVM does that , it has support in the kernel and its own
howto

Post by Boris Badeno » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:21:44

|Patition Magic from PowerQuest should work fine.

You want to be careful moving Ext2 partitions with Partition Magic, though.  I'm not quite sure what
I did, but I botched a Mandrake Linux install doing so, not once, but twice.

|> hde1, linux
|> hde2, ntfs
|> hde5\6, linux swap
|> hde7, fat32
|>
|> i have 2 idea, i wonder if any of them could be done
|>
|> 1, merge hde1 & hde2
|> 2, convert hde7 from fat32 to linux
|>
|> of course, files on these patitions can't be removed !
|> else, i won't ask , :-(
|>
|> any help would be appreciated
|>
|> http://madogcc.myip.org

1. Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:25:08 GMT, Matthew Planchant

What does fdisk or cfdisk say about the partition table layout?

The amount of mounted usable space will vary depending on how the
filesystems are initialized, since the filesystem overhead will vary.

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting     22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK
Phone  +44 (0)1865 721438   http://www.psherwin.strayduck.com

2. Document on PnP USR Modems/Request for assistance

3. Easy way to convert DOS partion to Linux???

4. Regisers in PowerPC assembly

5. Dedicated server on different partion

6. Linux installation risks to hard drive

7. Partion has different endings and + blocks

8. how do I get it to boot the CD?

9. optimum space for different partions..

10. To convert...and convert...and convert again

11. Re-partioning Extended partion

12. merging logs of different servers or Javascript?

13. disk partions (iI am installing 3 OS'es, need > then 4 partions)