scsi tape error with Exabyte 8500

Post by roger groga » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Testing reply statis, thank you

scsi tape error with Exabyte 8500

Post by Peter Hil » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to get an Exabyte 8500 tape streamer to work with Linux
> 1.2.13 and have been having some problems. The tape will work fine

<<snip>>

Quote:> This error occurs when using either an NCR53c810 PCI board or an
> Adaptec 1542B. I'm not directly accessing the streamer when the error
> occurs, and it is the only device on the SCSI bus.

<<unsnip>>

I can't comment on the NCR situation, but I run an Adaptec
1542B with an 8500, plus various other bits and pieces, and
other than having to set variable block sizes (to read tapes
produced on other systems) I have _never_ had a problem with
it.

I have run the combination on a variety of motherboards over the
last 2 years together with about 4 or 5 versions of Linux,
all Slackware, so I doubt if it is a driver type problem.

I would be inclined to try the card and drive on another system,
if possible. If the failure still occurs then you have at least
limited the problem to two components.

Peter.

--
Peter Hill - What's a sig ?? Is it something like a lert ??

1. Configuring an EXABYTE 8500 as an other scsi tape drive

Is anyone successfully using and Exabyte 8500 with standard AIX other scsi
tape drivers?

I have configured the drive with blocksize of 0 for variable block support
and backup runs fine, restore fails every time with a tape error x feet
into the tape.

I have also configured with an 8k block size which is the reported size
the tech doc on the 8500 says it writes at a time, backup runs fine, and
restore will run and work but is missing many of the directories supposedly
backed up.  Using interactive mode an ls shows 25 of the 150 or so directories
dumped.

I have been using the 8500 on a SUN for months with no problems but I have
moved file service to a 340 and need to move the backup device.  Any help
here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

--
----------
Daniel J. Uetrecht, Senior Systems Programmer

114 M/CS                                     Telephone 1.314.341.4841
Rolla, MO  65401-0249                              Fax 1.314.341.4216

2. kill the code red worm...

3. Exabyte 8500/8200 SCSI tape drives setup.

4. chat & ppp

5. did anyone get Java to work in YDL 2.0 ?!

6. How does one add a scsi card (adaptec 2940AU) and tape device (exabyte 8500) to redhat?

7. Win ME + RH 7.1 partition weirdness

8. trouble with NCR810A and Exabyte 8500 scsi-system - CCB phase error

9. Exabyte 8500 Tape Drive

10. Why does my Exabyte 8500 tape drive keep failing?

11. How do I dump to an Exabyte 8500 w/112m tape w/compression (5GB) ?

12. problems using Exabyte 8500 8mm tape drive