How to get rid of a route permanently?

Post by Jason Bon » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

For some reason when I upgraded to XFree 3.3.5, it stuck
in a default route to the loopback interface, thus screwing
up my modem...I have to delete it every time I log in now
using route del default.  I was wondering if anyone knew of
a permanent way to do this...is there a file somewhere that
contains such information that I could edit?  Thanks much,

  Jason

Post by Peter T. Breu » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: For some reason when I upgraded to XFree 3.3.5, it stuck
: in a default route to the loopback interface, thus screwing

: a permanent way to do this...is there a file somewhere that
: contains such information that I could edit?  Thanks much,

Nooooo .... it arrives there by magic every time you reboot!
What do you think? Of course there is a file there that contains the
default route instruction. Grep for it below your /etc/ directory.

Peter

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

]For some reason when I upgraded to XFree 3.3.5, it stuck
]in a default route to the loopback interface, thus screwing
]up my modem...I have to delete it every time I log in now
]using route del default.  I was wondering if anyone knew of
]a permanent way to do this...is there a file somewhere that
]contains such information that I could edit?  Thanks much,

XFree certainly did not do that . Maybe something else did.
Anyway, put the line
route del default
at the end of your rc.local file (in /etc/rc.d on RedHat Mandrake)
until you figure out what is setting up the default route for you.
You do not tell us anything we could use to help you.

How to get rid of a route permanently?

Post by brian moo » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:59:00 -0800,

Quote:> For some reason when I upgraded to XFree 3.3.5, it stuck
> in a default route to the loopback interface, thus screwing
> up my modem...I have to delete it every time I log in now
> using route del default.  I was wondering if anyone knew of
> a permanent way to do this...is there a file somewhere that
> contains such information that I could edit?  Thanks much,

No, it sounds like you left the 'defaultroute' option out of your PPP
configuration.

Add it, and pppd will make the modem your default route when you're
connected.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

1. How to get rid of a route permanently?

For some reason when I upgraded to XFree 3.3.5, it stuck
in a default route to the loopback interface, thus screwing
up my modem...I have to delete it every time I log in now
using route del default.  I was wondering if anyone knew of
a permanent way to do this...is there a file somewhere that
contains such information that I could edit?  Thanks much,

  Jason

2. Needed: a pen-based, tablet computer running some Unix with X

3. How remove a route permanently.

4. network down event

5. Permanently modify static routing configuration under redhat 7.3

6. No route to host

7. How can I permanently add route ?

8. Installing Linux on Dell notebook

9. !!Getting rid of auto start programs at start/Dialing up freeserve!!

10. getting rid of 'Lame server on ...' messages

11. Getting Rid of LILO

12. Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

13. Getting rid of "F?" prompt on system boot?