GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Tweeza » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

While running X I was able to connect using usernet as configured in
xconfigurator.  When I installed GNOME, I tried using the slick ppp
dialup utility and found I could only connect as root.  However, when I
ran usernet again as a user, I could connect with no problems.  I had
looked for hours for a permissions or path problem but found none.  I
saw several questions posted to various newsgroups about this same issue
so I thought I would put my fix out here.

Firstly, the following commands still worked for all users:

/sbin/ifup ppp0
/sbin/ifdown ppp0

After discovering that (thanks to usenet info), I decided to make my own
applet to run ifup and ifdown.  It turns out there is a second ppp
applet that comes with GNOME.  It is better concealed but it seems to
work for all users.  Here's how you get to it:

1. RIGHT click on an open space on the panel (taskbar, whatever)

2. Move your mouse up until "Add applet >" is highlighted.

3. Move your mouse over and down to "Network."

4. Select "PPP Dialer"

An icon will be added to your panel that looks like a play/pause and
stop button.  Click on the "play" button and your modem should dial.
Click on the "stop" button and it should disconnect.  This is assuming
that you had working ppp in X before installing GNOME.

Hope this helps.

Tweezak
http://www.teleport.com/~tweezak/

GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[.....]
Quote:> After discovering that (thanks to usenet info), I decided to make my own
> applet to run ifup and ifdown.  It turns out there is a second ppp
> applet that comes with GNOME.  It is better concealed but it seems to
> work for all users.  Here's how you get to it:

> 1. RIGHT click on an open space on the panel (taskbar, whatever)

> 2. Move your mouse up until "Add applet >" is highlighted.

> 3. Move your mouse over and down to "Network."

> 4. Select "PPP Dialer"

> An icon will be added to your panel that looks like a play/pause and
> stop button.  Click on the "play" button and your modem should dial.
> Click on the "stop" button and it should disconnect.  This is assuming
> that you had working ppp in X before installing GNOME.

[.....]

Also give a consideration to the "Modem Lights" applet. It has several
more advantages:

- Extensive configuration (via Properties) : You can make it use any
program to connect/disconnect (I use kppp, though I work in Gnome)

- Modem receive & transmit lights in real-time.

- Short term traffic history

HTH2
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    ( aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr )

GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Steve Gag » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> [.....]
> > After discovering that (thanks to usenet info), I decided to make my own
> > applet to run ifup and ifdown.  It turns out there is a second ppp
> > applet that comes with GNOME.  It is better concealed but it seems to
> > work for all users.  Here's how you get to it:

> > 1. RIGHT click on an open space on the panel (taskbar, whatever)

> > 2. Move your mouse up until "Add applet >" is highlighted.

> > 3. Move your mouse over and down to "Network."

> > 4. Select "PPP Dialer"

> > An icon will be added to your panel that looks like a play/pause and
> > stop button.  Click on the "play" button and your modem should dial.
> > Click on the "stop" button and it should disconnect.  This is assuming
> > that you had working ppp in X before installing GNOME.
> [.....]

> Also give a consideration to the "Modem Lights" applet. It has several
> more advantages:

> - Extensive configuration (via Properties) : You can make it use any
> program to connect/disconnect (I use kppp, though I work in Gnome)

> - Modem receive & transmit lights in real-time.

> - Short term traffic history

Except I can't modem lights to recognize my ppp connection. It will
successfully dial and connect, but the applet always says "not
connected". Any idea how to fix it?

- Steve

GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Johan Kullsta » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello all:
> I'd like to know how to make a hardlink two directories. I tried
>               "ln -d source_dir target_dir"
> but is says "Operation not permitted". The manual seems to say
> this can be done. Please help...

ln has the code to make the request, linux (as in the kernel) refuses
to do it.  you could perhaps hack the kernel to allow these requests
(i have no idea how hard that would be or if it'd be worth the
trouble).  hardlinks for directories are set up by the mkdir command.
mkdir only makes them in the standard way.

--
johan kullstam

GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > [.....]
> > > After discovering that (thanks to usenet info), I decided to make my own
> > > applet to run ifup and ifdown.  It turns out there is a second ppp
> > > applet that comes with GNOME.  It is better concealed but it seems to
> > > work for all users.  Here's how you get to it:

> > > 1. RIGHT click on an open space on the panel (taskbar, whatever)

> > > 2. Move your mouse up until "Add applet >" is highlighted.

> > > 3. Move your mouse over and down to "Network."

> > > 4. Select "PPP Dialer"

> > > An icon will be added to your panel that looks like a play/pause and
> > > stop button.  Click on the "play" button and your modem should dial.
> > > Click on the "stop" button and it should disconnect.  This is assuming
> > > that you had working ppp in X before installing GNOME.
> > [.....]

> > Also give a consideration to the "Modem Lights" applet. It has several
> > more advantages:

> > - Extensive configuration (via Properties) : You can make it use any
> > program to connect/disconnect (I use kppp, though I work in Gnome)

> > - Modem receive & transmit lights in real-time.

> > - Short term traffic history

> Except I can't modem lights to recognize my ppp connection. It will
> successfully dial and connect, but the applet always says "not
> connected". Any idea how to fix it?

> - Steve

It's most probably because of incorrect device and lock file
specifications in modem-lights setup. For instance, if you actually use
/dev/ttyS2 to dial out, then lock file specification to Modem-Lights
should be /var/lock/LCK..ttyS2.

Note: It's not advisable to use /dev/modem symlink or /dev/cua2.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    ( aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr )

GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Except I can't modem lights to recognize my ppp connection. It will
> successfully dial and connect, but the applet always says "not
> connected". Any idea how to fix it?

> - Steve

Just remembered that, I had once unchecked "Confirm Connection" option
in modem-lights setup, and the Connected/Not-connected button wouldn't
work. So I enabled it again: it's a little bit inconvenient to pass thru
that "Do you really want to connect?" dialog box, but I couldn't (nor
did I really try to) find a circumvention.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    ( aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr )

GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Steve Gag » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Abdullah,

the lock file spec was indeed the problem. I fixed that and all is well.

- Steve

> > Except I can't modem lights to recognize my ppp connection. It will
> > successfully dial and connect, but the applet always says "not
> > connected". Any idea how to fix it?

> > - Steve

> It's most probably because of incorrect device and lock file
> specifications in modem-lights setup. For instance, if you actually use
> /dev/ttyS2 to dial out, then lock file specification to Modem-Lights
> should be /var/lock/LCK..ttyS2.

> Note: It's not advisable to use /dev/modem symlink or /dev/cua2.

> --
> Abdullah Ramazanoglu    ( aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr )

GNOME ppp applet solution

Post by Mark Ferrarett » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You know what would be _really_ nice?  If I could kick off kppp and have it
dock in the gnome taksbar.  Is that possible?

Mark

> > [.....]
> > > After discovering that (thanks to usenet info), I decided to make my own
> > > applet to run ifup and ifdown.  It turns out there is a second ppp
> > > applet that comes with GNOME.  It is better concealed but it seems to
> > > work for all users.  Here's how you get to it:

> > > 1. RIGHT click on an open space on the panel (taskbar, whatever)

> > > 2. Move your mouse up until "Add applet >" is highlighted.

> > > 3. Move your mouse over and down to "Network."

> > > 4. Select "PPP Dialer"

> > > An icon will be added to your panel that looks like a play/pause and
> > > stop button.  Click on the "play" button and your modem should dial.
> > > Click on the "stop" button and it should disconnect.  This is assuming
> > > that you had working ppp in X before installing GNOME.
> > [.....]

> > Also give a consideration to the "Modem Lights" applet. It has several
> > more advantages:

> > - Extensive configuration (via Properties) : You can make it use any
> > program to connect/disconnect (I use kppp, though I work in Gnome)

> > - Modem receive & transmit lights in real-time.

> > - Short term traffic history

> Except I can't modem lights to recognize my ppp connection. It will
> successfully dial and connect, but the applet always says "not
> connected". Any idea how to fix it?

> - Steve

  Mark.Ferraretto.vcf
< 1K Download