name lookup with term?

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 18 Mar 1994 12:30:08

Hi.. I'd like to know if there exists, or is plans for, a "term" utility
that allows name lookup (and telnet/socket binding ) for hosts on the
other side of the link.

Here's a specific example I'd like to have: Mosaic.

I can run it on my school computer, and have the display be my home
computer. But it really sucks to wait for a 100K image to download to the
school computer, then be downloaded to my computer via X protocol. It
would be so much faster if I could run Mosaic from my home computer.

Philip Brown, CIS major, UC Santa Cruz
Author of "kdrill", and "xmandel"
Winging my way out of academia soon...

name lookup with term?

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 18 Mar 1994 15:18:09

By the way.. some nice people pointed out the existance of "Mosaic+term".

one little problem. I don't have a linux system. I have a SPARC system.

Can someone tell me whre I could get source?

Off the subject ramble:

1) It would be really nice if linux developers would get into the UNIX
mentality, and always distribute the source, instead of just binaries.

2) it would be nice to have a more general "routed for term" type of
thing, instead of hacking specific binaries like telnet, ftp, and mosaic
one by one.

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Wed, 23 Mar 1994 11:48:50

 >By the way.. some nice people pointed out the existance of "Mosaic+term".

 >one little problem. I don't have a linux system. I have a SPARC system.

 >Can someone tell me whre I could get source?

 >  **************************************************
 >Off the subject ramble:

 >1) It would be really nice if linux developers would get into the UNIX
 >mentality, and always distribute the source, instead of just binaries.

 >2) it would be nice to have a more general "routed for term" type of
 >thing, instead of hacking specific binaries like telnet, ftp, and mosaic
 >one by one.

 >--
 >Philip Brown, CIS major, UC Santa Cruz
 >Author of "kdrill", and "xmandel"
 >Winging my way out of academia soon...

Try chimera at ftp.cs.unlv.edu.  It is fast and will configure for term on
Sun very easily.

I have contributed to porting a Mosaic 2.0 port to term to Mosaic 2.1, but
my primary home Sun machine is dead and I cannot find the ftp site.  You
would have to have Motif, which is unnecessary for chimera.  Chimera can get
confused by some gopher stuff still, but it is getting relatively solid.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and  modem   maintainer, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

1. Term problem - ttelnet gives "host name lookup failure"

I'm having a problem with ttelnet under term.  Tftp works great but
ttelnet, tfinger and twhois all abort with the error message "host name
lookup failure".  I'm really not sure where to look for the cause of the
problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
--
Bob McCormick

2. Appllications server

3. Name server's fine, but annot lookup host name with some program

4. 32bit color with nv Geforce and Xfree 40?

5. "Deferred: Name server: nohost: host name lookup failure"

6. How to tune SHMMAX?

7. Term error hostname lookup failure

8. Gates' Baby Names: FUN Break

9. term - hostname lookup error

10. Term host lookup error?

11. name lookup problem

12. cheap lookup of symbol names on oops()

13. Redhat 9: Can ping, Can lookup names, Can ftp, Can Not browse http...