Upgrading Redhat to newer version instead of a reinstall

Upgrading Redhat to newer version instead of a reinstall

Post by Warren Bel » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:40:05

I'm running RH 7.1 on my server now.  When 7.2 comes out and I decide to
upgrade, will the upgrade option work by just putting in the CD and
upgrading to 7.2?  I heard on earlier versions it didn't work too well
and people ended up reinstalling.  Does the upgrade option work fairly
well in recent versions of RH?

Post by Leonard Even » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:42:24

> I'm running RH 7.1 on my server now.  When 7.2 comes out and I decide to
> upgrade, will the upgrade option work by just putting in the CD and
> upgrading to 7.2?  I heard on earlier versions it didn't work too well
> and people ended up reinstalling.  Does the upgrade option work fairly
> well in recent versions of RH?

I upgraded every version from 5.2 through 7.0 without problem.  But
when going to 7.1, we found that it was better to install.   First of
all, that always produces a cleaner system, since you don't keep around
junk you've collected from previous releases which are no longer
functional.   But in addition, 7.1 was the first release to use a 2.4
kernel, and that required additional swap space.  In addition, it was a
larger distribution and sometimes wouldn't fit in avaliable space.
Reinstalling allows you better to allocate your space as needed.
And reinstalling doesn't take a whole lot longer if you are careful to
save /etc and other crucial directories as tar files.   If you do decide
to repartition, you may need to save your /home partition somewhere.
If you can leave it in place, then the installation won't require that
although it is always prudent to do so, even for an upgrade.

Upgrading Redhat to newer version instead of a reinstall

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:44:33

I always make sure that / is it's own partition so that I can reformat it
during an upgrade which insures a clean install. Make sure that
/usr/local and /opt are on a different partition than /. If they aren't
you should move thm to a separate partition ( I put them on /home) and
the create soft links to them.

Quote:> I'm running RH 7.1 on my server now.  When 7.2 comes out and I decide to

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 05:39:04

Quote:> I'm running RH 7.1 on my server now.  When 7.2 comes out and I decide to
> upgrade, will the upgrade option work by just putting in the CD and
> upgrading to 7.2?  I heard on earlier versions it didn't work too well
> and people ended up reinstalling.  Does the upgrade option work fairly
> well in recent versions of RH?

Hi, Warren - after testing Red Hat 7.2 beta (Roswell) in-house, I've
found the upgrade to be quite nice.   Anaconda (Red Hat's installation
utility) respected the current status of the system (including
configuration and settings), while also upgrading my test machine's file
systems from ext2 to ext3.  Red Hat upgrades have always worked well if
you are a firm believer in the RPM package system - they work well
because the upgrade performs the upgrade on the package level, not
wiping out and installing.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.12:
-> We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
-> - Jason Kidd

1. Upgrading 1.0.9 to a newer version

I'm running Minilinux 1.0.9 and would like to upgrade to a newer
version.  I've tried all the different root/boot disks for
Slackwear and it either halts at boot with a filesystem panic
error or says it can't find files during the setup.  I got a bit
furthur with RedHat but when it gets to the part where it wants
RedHat diskettes, all of the archives that I downloaded from their
site and put onto a disk report "this is not a RedHat Diskette"

All I want is to upgrade the Kernel, get the Make program, PPP
and the online MANual.  What is the easiest way for me to do this?
If you could be kind enough to point out the specific locations,
files and command that I will need to make it as easy as possible
I would really appreciate it.

The system I'm trying to upgrade is an AST Ascentia 900N Notebook.
I already have a Linux partition and a Linux Swap Partition and would
prefer to keep my MSDOS partition in tact but thats not manditory.

Thanks. I'll owe you one for helping!

2. X11 library.

3. Help upgrading kernel using newer version of libc

4. Solaris System Backup

5. newer version of 1.1 rpms for RedHat 5.2

6. 32 bit driver in 64 bit kernel

7. Version PPP-2.1.2b ... Newer Version?

8. Serial Mouse on Award 4.51 BIOS/M-549 mainboard

9. xfree86 update fails (module ABI minor Version is newer than the server's version)

10. Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

11. Can I run metro-linx 1.2.4 motif version on newer Xfree version?

12. can i upgrade redhat 6.2 box to latest version through internet(remotely)

13. named keeps crashing, is there a newer version?