Reconstucting the information needed to mount an NTFS partition under Linux

Reconstucting the information needed to mount an NTFS partition under Linux

Post by Christopher Peter » Mon, 26 May 2003 03:23:14

Hello,

I unfortunatly recently managed to get the partitiontable on one of my
HDs screwed up. ( a careless answer of yes to "should I fix this
error" in Partition Magic, sure wont do that again...)

Then while trying to reconstruct it manually from my memory, I think I
overwrote the beginning of a NTFS partition with an extended
partition. Now if I interpret mount's ouput correctly, I overwrote the
superblock, which contains necessary information for mounting the
partition.

My question is now, can somebody give me some hints as to how I might
be able to recover the files from the harddrive? Ever since
overwriting the superblock I didnt do any more writes to the HD, so
the actual files should all still be fine.

Here are some things I allready did try:

- GNU parted rescue (not compatible with NTFS)
- gpart, just froze my kernel when trying to locate lost partitions
- Win2k chkdsk says it doesnt support raw devices
- doing some wild DD's from the original partition to a working NTFS
partition, hoping I could somehow get the files, however these were
just unsofisticated potshots.

Does anybody know, how I could either reconstruct this damaged
superblock to make the partition mountable again, or maybe know a way
I can extract the Files somehow by "raw" access?

Regards,
Christopher Peters