Hard Disk Full

Post by Mathew Robertso » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi World,

My hard disk is full - I have another i want to add

Help needed:
Either tell me what docs to read (i cant find any) or
How do I do it?

- Fdisk ?   - how do i look at at hdb1
- format ?  - how do i format hdb1
- /etc/fstab ?  - should i add a line before /proc

Thanx all

mat

ps mail please

Hard Disk Full

Post by Roy Stogn » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>My hard disk is full - I have another i want to add

Depending on the size of the two hard disks, you may want to
consider splitting the filesystem rationally by moving /home
or /usr entirely to the new hard drive, rather than just
slopping extraneous files around like you would on a Windows
machine.

Quote:>Help needed:
>Either tell me what docs to read (i cant find any) or

"man commandname" will probably be all the docs you need.
"man -k keyword" is a good place to start if you don't know
what commands you need.

Quote:>How do I do it?
>- Fdisk ?   - how do i look at at hdb1
>- format ?  - how do i format hdb1
>- /etc/fstab ?  - should i add a line before /proc

All of the above.  First partition, then format, then copy
data to, then mount the new disk.

You want to use fdisk to break the new hard disk into
partitions, the size of which depends on whether you want
to use it for swap, home, usr, or whatever.  If you'll post
and mail me hard drive sizes I can suggest a layout for the
new disk, or you can check
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Multiple-Disks-Layout
for suggestions (probably way more info than you need, though).

Then, you want to format it as an extended 2 filesystem.
"mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdb1" for example.

Then, you want to copy all your files in /usr, for example, to
the new partition.

"mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/usr"
"cp -a /usr /mnt/usr"
(I think; someone please correct me if this misses something)

Then, you want to mount the new partition over /usr, by adding
the line:
"/dev/hdb1       /usr            ext2   defaults 1 2"
to /etc/fstab

Finally, reboot or
"umount /dev/hdb1"
"mount /dev/hdb1 /usr"

Test things out, then
"umount /dev/hdb1"
"rm -Rf /usr"
"mount /dev/hdb1 /usr"

As always, when playing around with big deletes, etc., backups
are good to have just in case.
---
Roy Stogner

Hard Disk Full

Post by David Z. Maz » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

MR> My hard disk is full - I have another i want to add
MR>
MR> Help needed:
MR> Either tell me what docs to read (i cant find any) or
MR> How do I do it?

Try running man for the commands; try looking at fdisk(8), mkfs(8),
and fstab(5).

MR> - Fdisk ?   - how do i look at at hdb1

fdisk /dev/hdb

MR> - format ?  - how do i format hdb1

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdb1

MR> - /etc/fstab ?  - should i add a line before /proc

Adding a line is a good idea, it doesn't matter where.

MR> ps mail please

Posted and mailed.

--
 _____________________________
/                             \  "The cat's been in the box for over
|          David Maze         |  20 years.  Nobody's feeding it.  The

| http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/ |  -- Grant, on Schroedinger's Cat
\_____________________________/

1. Hard Disk Weirdness - suddenly disk full

I was freeing up some space on my hard disk by deinstalling some RPMs.  I
don't believe I removed anything of great importance, mainly games and
stuff.  After doing so I appeared to have no problems.  I was able to free
up space until I had about 20% of the disk free (1.2 gig drive) checking the
disk using > df -m or > df -k.  I appeared to have no problems at that
point.

I then changed some permissions for StarOffice to allow a group (my non-root
user account). But was never able to get it to run as my non-root user.  To
do this I was switching back and forth between root and user to change
permissions.

I changed the clock to the correct time.

Then I logged onto the Internet with Netscape for a short session (no
downloads just looking about).

At the end of the session I moved from an Gnome session back to command line
as the non-root user and did one last check with df.  To my surprise the
disk was now 100% used.

At that point I could not log onto a Gnome session.  At shut down I get
x-font server - failed with everything else "ok."

At boot I received no error messages but after logging on as root I still
have 100% disk full.  I am able to log onto a Gnome session.

Thanks
Frank

2. sccs permissions

3. Disk full on non-full disk???

4. IDprom shot after power failure

5. full hard disk

6. Limited Account

7. Hard Disk acts "Full" even when it's not

8. spmon functions under perspectives

9. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

10. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

11. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

12. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

13. "full disk", not full