Running A.OUT (libc.so.4) programs under RH 6.x - it works, but I have a question

Running A.OUT (libc.so.4) programs under RH 6.x - it works, but I have a question

Post by Kenny McCorma » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

In order to run a.out binaries (QMAGIC or ZMAGIC), I have to (manually)
insmod the binfmt_aout module.  This is no big deal and I could simply put a
line in rc.local to do it, but I am curious about something.

In Debian, binfmt_aout is "automagically" loaded (by kerneld, no doubt) when
I attempt to run a AOUT binary.  In RH, I have to load it manually.

Why is this?

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> In order to run a.out binaries (QMAGIC or ZMAGIC), I have to (manually)
> insmod the binfmt_aout module.  This is no big deal and I could simply put a
> line in rc.local to do it, but I am curious about something.

> In Debian, binfmt_aout is "automagically" loaded (by kerneld, no doubt) when
> I attempt to run a AOUT binary.  In RH, I have to load it manually.

Do you have

alias binfmt-0064       binfmt_aout

in /etc/modules.conf?

--

Post by Justin B Willough » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> In order to run a.out binaries (QMAGIC or ZMAGIC), I have to (manually)
> insmod the binfmt_aout module.  This is no big deal and I could simply put a
> line in rc.local to do it, but I am curious about something.

> In Debian, binfmt_aout is "automagically" loaded (by kerneld, no doubt) when
> I attempt to run a AOUT binary.  In RH, I have to load it manually.

When configuring/complaining your kernel I believe there is an option to auto
load modules when they are needed.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby