Directories not seen

Post by Joseph Whit » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

Sometimes while opening or saving files with various programs I cannot
see the ./directories in the   open/save/saveAs  dialog box.

As in /home/jwhite ./enlightenment

But directories like  /home/jwhite/pix    will show up fine.

Any Idea how to fix this.

Joe

Directories not seen

Post by muzh » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Names of directories and files starting with "." are supposed to be
hidden -- they are often configuration files and should not be messed with
un-necessarily.
If you want to save something to a directory like this I suggest you simply
remove the "." from the front of the directory name -- but at your own
risk!! :=)

cll

Quote:> Hi All,

> Sometimes while opening or saving files with various programs I cannot
> see the ./directories in the   open/save/saveAs  dialog box.

> As in /home/jwhite ./enlightenment

> But directories like  /home/jwhite/pix    will show up fine.

> Any Idea how to fix this.

> Joe

Directories not seen

Post by zenta » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Names of directories and files starting with "." are supposed to be
>hidden -- they are often configuration files and should not be messed with
>un-necessarily.
>If you want to save something to a directory like this I suggest you simply
>remove the "." from the front of the directory name -- but at your own
>risk!! :=)

You can also use mc , Midnight Commander as your file manager.
It has an option to "show hidden directories and files".
That way you can leave the ".", yet still see it.