SBC DSL

Post by Greg F Walz Chojnack » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 02:30:12

My DSL provider, DirectTV (nee Telocity) is getting out of the business (Waaah!) and I'll be switching to SBC.

I'm running Redhat 6.2 with masquerading to shrae the DSL with my home network.

Are their any gotchas I should know about when making the switch? Offhand, the only potential pitfall I can think of is that I'll have a dynamic IP number.

Thanks for any info.

Greg

--

http://www.uwm.edu/News/                                     FAX:414/229-6443

SBC DSL

Post by mjt » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:26:50

Quote:> Are their any gotchas I should know about when making the switch? Offhand, the only potential pitfall I can think of is that I'll have a dynamic IP

... no gotchas ... i've been running sbc dsl for quite a while now
with no issues.

SBC DSL

Post by Brando » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 04:15:46

Quote:

> My DSL provider, DirectTV (nee Telocity) is getting out of the business (Waaah!) and I'll be switching to SBC.

> I'm running Redhat 6.2 with masquerading to shrae the DSL with my home network.

> Are their any gotchas I should know about when making the switch? Offhand, the only potential pitfall I can think of is that I'll have a dynamic IP number.

It may be officially dynamic but usually if your PC stays up all the
time then the dhcp lease renew will just keep giving you the same IP
over and over again. There may be a limit to how many times it does that
but I see no reason why unless SBC is stringent on you having a dynamic
IP that never changes so you can run daemons more easily. If they were
like that though they should make the IP really change upon every dhcp
renew.

SBC DSL

Post by Somebo » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:26:08

I am in the same boat. DirecTV has been great, and now, thanks to some
stupid line-share issue at the ILEC facility, I cannot get DSL through
anyone BUT SBC.
The reason I have avoided using SBC DSL is that they customer
self-install is not available for Linux users, and there is  a $200
professional installation fee.
Is the install process really that complicated or is SBC just making
it seem that way? I need details. :( I'm using Mandrake 8.2 on 2
machines and Win2k on another, all behind a Linksys dsl router.

> > My DSL provider, DirectTV (nee Telocity) is getting out of the business (Waaah!) and I'll be switching to SBC.

> > I'm running Redhat 6.2 with masquerading to shrae the DSL with my home network.

> > Are their any gotchas I should know about when making the switch? Offhand, the only potential pitfall I can think of is that I'll have a dynamic IP number.

> It may be officially dynamic but usually if your PC stays up all the
> time then the dhcp lease renew will just keep giving you the same IP
> over and over again. There may be a limit to how many times it does that
> but I see no reason why unless SBC is stringent on you having a dynamic
> IP that never changes so you can run daemons more easily. If they were
> like that though they should make the IP really change upon every dhcp
> renew.

SBC DSL

Post by Jerem » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:29:00

> I am in the same boat. DirecTV has been great, and now, thanks to some
> stupid line-share issue at the ILEC facility, I cannot get DSL through
> anyone BUT SBC.
> The reason I have avoided using SBC DSL is that they customer
> self-install is not available for Linux users, and there is  a $200
> professional installation fee.
> Is the install process really that complicated or is SBC just making
> it seem that way? I need details. :( I'm using Mandrake 8.2 on 2
> machines and Win2k on another, all behind a Linksys dsl router.

When I dealt with Pac Bell for SBC DSL (3 times now),  I asked for a self
install.  There was no question of OS.

Mind you, these are people who take 9+ days to change service over from one
name to another, during which time it is cut off.  The one time I asked for
information (the registration username and password), I went through 2 levels
of support before giving up and hoping that it would show up somewhere in the
documentation they would eventually send.  It did.

SBC DSL

Post by Greg F Walz Chojnack » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 02:21:33

: Is the install process really that complicated or is SBC just making
: it seem that way? I need details. :( I'm using Mandrake 8.2 on 2
: machines and Win2k on another, all behind a Linksys dsl router.

I'm up and running, so it can't be that bad :-)

I used the PPPoE utility from  Roaring Penguin
    (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
and the IP Masquerading How-To
        http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

But I was going from RH 6.2 to RH8, and hence from IPCHAINS to IPTABLES, so
you might not have to do that.

Basically, you'll have to tell ifcfg-eth0 that it's using DHCP, not a static
IP. The only tricky thing (that I can recall :-) ) is that if you are already
masquerading with an rc. firewall, you should tell the adsl-setup utiility
that there's no firewall; otherwise it'll point to a firewall script within the
ppp directory (IIRC).

Anyway, I did it, it went surprisingly well, and if you want some help, let me
know. I'll even give you an evening phone # :-)

Greg

--

http://www.uwm.edu/News/                                     FAX:414/229-6443