pppoe, static ips & sbc business dsl

Post by Melvin To » Fri, 30 May 2003 03:42:13

Hello-

I built a firewall/nat for a non-profit awhile back. Their DSL
connection was just basic SBC/Yahoo DSL. They are now talking about
upgrading to a SBC Business DSL package. I called SBC technical support
to ask if their business packages which comes with 5 static ips still
uses pppoe. The response I got from SBC is that some packages do and
some don't. If a particular package doesn't use pppoe, I'll have no
problems. I'm not sure where to begin if I get 5 static ips and have to
use pppoe. I have no way to test ahead of time. Anyone dealt with this
problem before? I guessing - would you edit /etc/ppp/options, remove
noipdefault and add local xx.xx.xx.xx. yy.yy.yy.yy etc.? Maybe
/etc/ppp/chaps-secret, /etc/ppp/paps-secret and edit the 4th column?

thanks,
Melvin

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 30 May 2003 10:47:39

> I built a firewall/nat for a non-profit awhile back. Their DSL
> connection was just basic SBC/Yahoo DSL. They are now talking about
> upgrading to a SBC Business DSL package. I called SBC technical support
> to ask if their business packages which comes with 5 static ips still
> uses pppoe. The response I got from SBC is that some packages do and
> some don't. If a particular package doesn't use pppoe, I'll have no
> problems. I'm not sure where to begin if I get 5 static ips and have to
> use pppoe. I have no way to test ahead of time. Anyone dealt with this
> problem before? I guessing - would you edit /etc/ppp/options, remove
> noipdefault and add local xx.xx.xx.xx. yy.yy.yy.yy etc.? Maybe
> /etc/ppp/chaps-secret, /etc/ppp/paps-secret and edit the 4th column?

I guess it depends upon where you are in SBC land and whether you have
them install the business modem/router, or are trying to roll your own.
If you get their router, it is probably simply a matter of using proxy_arp
or aliases on your Linux nic connected to the router to funnel the IPs
through your firewall.

For example assuming you do not get their router, SBC Ameritech uses PPPoE
for static (the IPs are routed through 1 PPPoE connection), but the pppoe
setup is just like for dynamic (prefix added to the domain of e-mail
address used for login automatically assigns the proper pppoe IP,
defaultroute, etc.).

I heard that SBC SWBell apparently uses dhcp (unless it is their router
doing that), so you can simply connect a computer or other device for each
of your usable IPs.

To get more specific info, consult the forum related to the pre-SBC
telco (Ameritech, Pacbell, SNet, SWBell, etc.) at
http://www.dslreports.com/

1. pppoe & static ips & sbc business dsl

Hello-

I built a firewall/nat for a non-profit awhile back. Their DSL
connection was just basic SBC/Yahoo DSL. They are now talking about
upgrading to a SBC Business DSL package. I called SBC technical support
to ask if their business packages which comes with 5 static ips still
uses pppoe. The response I got from SBC is that some packages do and
some don't. If a particular package doesn't use pppoe, I'll have no
problems. I'm not sure where to begin if I get 5 static ips and have to
use pppoe. I have no way to test ahead of time. Anyone dealt with this
problem before? I guessing - would you edit /etc/ppp/options, remove
noipdefault and add local xx.xx.xx.xx. yy.yy.yy.yy etc.? Maybe
/etc/ppp/chaps-secret, /etc/ppp/paps-secret and edit the 4th column?

thanks,
Melvin

2. RCS and baseline's.

3. pppoe, ethernet, westell wirespeed, SBC, DSL, SuSE support

4. xperfmon for solaris

5. PPPoE (sbc/yahoo dsl) working?

6. install 2.2.1 or 2.2.5?

7. SBC Yahoo DSL with Linux PPPoE

8. Linux Mach 64 Server Works Better Than OEM Windows Driver!

9. PPPoE and SNET SBC Yahoo DSL

10. anyone running SBC DSL PPPoE with Redhat?

11. pppd & pppoe & dsl & 2.4.1

12. Dynamic DSL works, static a no go using Linux pppoe