Wrong KCharset message

Wrong KCharset message

Post by Ray Riede » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00



I installed redhat 5.2, then later added KDE from another distribution.
(redhat didn't have KDE) Everything has been working OK except when I
logout of KDE the bash shell lists errors about the wrong character set
and sometimes about not being able to run "maudio".

My fonts look OK in KDE.  In Applixware I have no problems with fonts.
So I'm just curious about what character set is wrong and how to correct
it.

The "maudio" message usually occurs after I've been playing the
asteroids clone in KDE.  Does anyone hear sound when playing asteroids?

 
 
 

Wrong KCharset message

Post by David A Turne » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> My fonts look OK in KDE.  In Applixware I have no problems with fonts.
> So I'm just curious about what character set is wrong and how to correct
> it.

I have to wrestle with that every time I reinstall Mandrake 6.1. I go to
the KDE Control Center and play with International keyboard (invoke it,
then quit from taskbar), Desktop Fonts (click each and click Default
button) and Language. Eventually I get the right combo and Wrong
KCharset message goes away. One of these days I going to stumble on the
right sequence so the process is not so hit and miss.

--
David

 
 
 

Wrong KCharset message

Post by Glennz » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> I installed redhat 5.2, then later added KDE from another distribution.
> (redhat didn't have KDE) Everything has been working OK except when I
> logout of KDE the bash shell lists errors about the wrong character set
> and sometimes about not being able to run "maudio".

> My fonts look OK in KDE.  In Applixware I have no problems with fonts.
> So I'm just curious about what character set is wrong and how to correct
> it.

> The "maudio" message usually occurs after I've been playing the
> asteroids clone in KDE.  Does anyone hear sound when playing asteroids?

Hey Ray, you been using my computer again? I get exactly the same error
messages when I log out of KDE! I'm using Redhat 6.0. Kinda drives me
nuts. I have no solution either, just thought I'd throw my 2c worth in. If
I hear of a fix I'll be sure to let you know.

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/

 
 
 

Wrong KCharset message

Post by Ed Hurs » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00




> > I installed redhat 5.2, then later added KDE from another distribution.
> > (redhat didn't have KDE) Everything has been working OK except when I
> > logout of KDE the bash shell lists errors about the wrong character set
> > and sometimes about not being able to run "maudio".

> > My fonts look OK in KDE.  In Applixware I have no problems with fonts.
> > So I'm just curious about what character set is wrong and how to correct
> > it.

> > The "maudio" message usually occurs after I've been playing the
> > asteroids clone in KDE.  Does anyone hear sound when playing asteroids?

> Hey Ray, you been using my computer again? I get exactly the same error
> messages when I log out of KDE! I'm using Redhat 6.0. Kinda drives me
> nuts. I have no solution either, just thought I'd throw my 2c worth in. If
> I hear of a fix I'll be sure to let you know.

I believe the KDE docs will tell you not to worry about that message.  I used
to see it all the time when I ran Kedit under Icewm.  Now that I've installed
True Type font support (RH 6.1), I don't see it any more.  I don't know if
there's a connection, though.

Ed

 
 
 

Wrong KCharset message

Post by Gandal » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Go to http://www.kde.org/

They have an FAQ there about this.
Thanks
Bye


Quote:

> I installed redhat 5.2, then later added KDE from another distribution.
> (redhat didn't have KDE) Everything has been working OK except when I
> logout of KDE the bash shell lists errors about the wrong character set
> and sometimes about not being able to run "maudio".

> My fonts look OK in KDE.  In Applixware I have no problems with fonts.
> So I'm just curious about what character set is wrong and how to correct
> it.

> The "maudio" message usually occurs after I've been playing the
> asteroids clone in KDE.  Does anyone hear sound when playing asteroids?

 
 
 

Wrong KCharset message

Post by Glennz » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00




> > My fonts look OK in KDE.  In Applixware I have no problems with fonts.
> > So I'm just curious about what character set is wrong and how to
correct
> > it.

> I have to wrestle with that every time I reinstall Mandrake 6.1. I go to
> the KDE Control Center and play with International keyboard (invoke it,
> then quit from taskbar), Desktop Fonts (click each and click Default
> button) and Language. Eventually I get the right combo and Wrong
> KCharset message goes away. One of these days I going to stumble on the
> right sequence so the process is not so hit and miss.

> --
> David

On the KDE web site under the FAQ's (previously mentioned) they state
something to the effect that it's a minor bug that they're aware of, but it
causes no known problems. They DO tell you how to 'fix' it.

Glenn...

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/

 
 
 

Wrong KCharset message

Post by David A Turne » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00



> On the KDE web site under the FAQ's (previously mentioned) they state
> something to the effect that it's a minor bug that they're aware of, but it
> causes no known problems. They DO tell you how to 'fix' it.

> Glenn...

Thanks. I believe I've been there and they point to the single fix of
making sure the Desktop > Language settings are set to the same thing.
In my experience this eliminates a long string of them, but I've always
had to fiddle further with Desktop > Fonts and Desktop > Input Devices >
International Keyboard in KDE Control Center to totally eradicate them
(there always seems to be one left).

--
David