2 Questions About Linux

Post by Kramme » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

1. What's the best linux distribution???(I want it specially for hacking,
but for educational purpouses)

2. How can I connect to the internet thought TCP/IP????????(IN RED HAT 6.0
OR   IN  WINLINUX 2000)

A lot of thanks,
Mauricio.

2 Questions About Linux

Post by Hans Dumbraj » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> 1. What's the best linux distribution???(I want it specially for hacking,
> but for educational purpouses)

If you're an 3l33t hacker you build your own distro.

Quote:

> 2. How can I connect to the internet thought TCP/IP????????(IN RED HAT 6.0
> OR   IN  WINLINUX 2000)

Ok.. you're definatly not an 3l33t hacker, so forget what I said.
How about RTFM?
Quote:

> A lot of thanks,
> Mauricio.

2 Questions About Linux

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> 1. What's the best linux distribution???(I want it specially for hacking,
> but for educational purpouses)

There is no single "best" Linux distribution, although for educational and
hacking purposes it may be easier to narrow the field, depending on
exactly what you mean. You may want to check my web page on Linux
distributions:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

Quote:> 2. How can I connect to the internet thought TCP/IP????????(IN RED HAT 6.0
> OR   IN  WINLINUX 2000)

There are many ways to do this, depending upon the type of TCP/IP
connection. For instance, if you're using a modem for a dialup PPP
connection, you can create and edit text-mode ppp dialer scripts, or use a
GUI front-end like KPPP (which comes with KDE) or X-ISP
(http://users.hol.gr/~dbouras/). If you're using a direct network
connection or a cable or DSL modem, you probably need to set up DHCP or a
static IP address via Ethernet, which you can do in distribution-specific
GUI tools. There are many other variants, and without knowing more about
the nature of your connection, I can't give more information without
writing a small book on the subject.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

2 Questions About Linux

Post by Neil » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> 2. How can I connect to the internet thought TCP/IP????????(IN RED HAT 6.0
>> OR   IN  WINLINUX 2000)

>Ok.. you're definatly not an 3l33t hacker, so forget what I said.
>How about RTFM?

Get Suse 6.3. It comes with a very good manual which will answer many questions.

RTFM means read the manual :-) So if U have a good one, you are sorted.

Neil

2 Questions About Linux

What is a 3133t hacker?  I know what RTFM is, but not this...

Post by Grant Edwar » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>What is a 3133t hacker?  I know what RTFM is, but not this...

           ELEET

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My haircut is totally
                                  at               traditional!

2 Questions About Linux

Post by John Culleto » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> 1. What's the best linux distribution???(I want it specially for
hacking,
> but for educational purpouses)

> 2. How can I connect to the internet thought TCP/IP????????(IN RED HAT
6.0
> OR   IN  WINLINUX 2000)

> A lot of thanks,
> Mauricio.

Never heard of WINLINUX. Best distro for hacking IMHO is Slackware.
RedHat insulates you too much from what is really going on. Connecting
to Internet is easy, :-) Just see the N series files in Slackware. You
will need a browser. Lynx works from a command line. For XWindows I
suggest downloading Netscape 4.7. Make sure your ISP gives you enough
information for setting up your pppscript file in /etc/ppp.

JOhn Culleton

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. RedHat 5.1 Questions and Linux Questions ?

Hi there,

I have following questions to ask about my newly installed Linux.

1) How can I enable Telnet access for root under RedHat 5.1? (It's just my
intranet experimental system, so security is not a problem)

2) Sometimes, when I configure some configuration files in Linux (/etc/*), I
want to know exactly what it does and its command. How can I use "man" to
search it.

I had tried "man resolv.conf", "man network". The man program always said
that there are no those text here.

Please kindly reply me via email.

Regards,
Edward.

2. Printer Sellect and mono 1280x1024

3. Additional Questions Concerning Re: Questions from Linux newbieI

4. 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.13

5. Linux SLIP driver. - and other question about linux!

6. HARD DRIVE PARTIT. QUESTION....

7. Not quite a Linux question, but Linux users will understand...

8. How many Linux users are there ?

9. Question Printing Linux To Linux

10. Basic questions about Linux (was: Linux)

11. Question about Linux Bible and Linux Network Admin Guide

12. A few questions reguarding Linux

13. Some questions about Linux!