misc: Caldera's OpenLinux Standard reviewed

misc: Caldera's OpenLinux Standard reviewed

Post by Yoo C. Chu » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> "The FastTrack server, coupled with the Linux high-performance kernal,
> makes Caldera OpenLinux an unbeatable value as a Web Server.

I seriously doubt this.  I think it would have been much better to
have used Apache.

This is probably just my biased opinion, of course.

--
Yoo C. Chung <http://plaza.snu.ac.kr/~wacko/>
School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University

misc: Caldera's OpenLinux Standard reviewed

Post by Greg Chares » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Caldera OpenLinux Standard for sale - I still like RedHat better.

CD's and manuals. Make an offer.

Post by Bob Hau » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> "The FastTrack server, coupled with the Linux high-performance kernal,
>> makes Caldera OpenLinux an unbeatable value as a Web Server.

> I seriously doubt this.  I think it would have been much better to
> have used Apache.

But FastTrack has that neato GUI admin interface.  The NT-heads in
*.advocacy tell me that people "need" a GUI <g>.

Also, you need your press-kit translation guide handy for this stuff.
If it is free, that's "cheap" to the press, with all the connotations
that has.  When it is less costly than it was yesterday, then we are
talking "value".  In that light, the Caldera bundle is a better "value"
than buying FastTrack by itself for some other platform.

Given that the so-called mainstream press doesn't understand Apache,
doesn't get press releases about it, and therefore trashes it in most
reviews (my gosh, you have to _compile_ it!), I think Caldera is doing
the right thing here (for their target market) regardless of which is
really the better web server.

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

Post by W. Deni » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> > "The FastTrack server, coupled with the Linux high-performance kernal,
> > makes Caldera OpenLinux an unbeatable value as a Web Server.

> I seriously doubt this.  I think it would have been much better to
> have used Apache.

> This is probably just my biased opinion, of course.

> --
> Yoo C. Chung <http://plaza.snu.ac.kr/~wacko/>
> School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University

FastTrack is probably just a little bit easier to set up and
maintain than Apache, and Caldera is trying to create a viable
option for mainstream users.  Of course the typical Linux
user has no problems getting Apache to work as wanted, but it
IS a bit more complicated than for instance Microsoft's IIS.
And of course, there's nothing to stop you from installing
and using Apache on OpenLinux anyhow, should you so desire.

Michiel Denie

Post by Bob Hau » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> > "The FastTrack server, coupled with the Linux high-performance kernal,
>> > makes Caldera OpenLinux an unbeatable value as a Web Server.

>> I seriously doubt this.  I think it would have been much better to
>> have used Apache.
> ...  Of course the typical Linux
> user has no problems getting Apache to work as wanted, but it
> IS a bit more complicated than for instance Microsoft's IIS.

Is it?  You know this for sure?  I keep hearing how simple NT stuff
is to set up, yet every time I try it, I end up click-click-clicking
for hours and getting nowhere.  Yeah, it installs real nice, but
making it do something useful turns out to be a major project.

Just yesterday, I was trying to help someone set up Exchange Server
to do Internet mail through a shared dial-on-demand gateway.  After a
while, I started thinking that maybe sendmail/fetchmail/uucp isn't so
bad  after all.  It still doesn't work the way they want, but we're
getting close.  OTOH, I fear that "close" may be as good as its ever
gonna be unless we buy additional software or I can convince them to
try another tack.

I have not tried IIS, but is there a reason why it is not like the rest
of Microsoft's offerings?  Easy to set up and use for the common case,
but a real pain in the ass if you try to do anything even slightly outside
MS's vision of how things ought to be.

Sorry, just had to vent that...I'll go away now.

---

Post by LAJAn » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> "The FastTrack server, coupled with the Linux high-performance kernal,
>> makes Caldera OpenLinux an unbeatable value as a Web Server.

>I seriously doubt this.  I think it would have been much better to
>have used Apache.

>This is probably just my biased opinion, of course.

For a lot of Linux users, you may be right.  However, FastTrack
includes some features important to corporate Web sites that Apache
doesn't have, namely:  SSL security, browser-based administration, and
JavaScript support.  And, frankly, at $399, Caldera OpenLinux totally
trounces Windows NT as a Web server, which seems to be where Caldera
is aiming OpenLinux Standard and Deluxe.  If you don't want Netscape
FastTrack or the NetWare client, COL Base is only $60 and comes with
Apache (which stabs at NT even deeper if you don't mind editing Apache
config files).

Post by Sylvan Butl » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> user has no problems getting Apache to work as wanted, but it
>> IS a bit more complicated than for instance Microsoft's IIS.
>Is it?  You know this for sure?  I keep hearing how simple NT stuff

In fact, I'd claim that IIS is NOT simple.  At least up thru IIS 3.x
there is very little configuration user interface.  You have to edit
the registry.  Now, in and of itself that probably isn't much harder
than editing Apache config files.  But the registry doesn't have any
comments...

sdb
--
Do NOT send me unsolicited commercial e-mail (UCE)!
Watch out for munged e-mail address.

misc: Caldera's OpenLinux Standard reviewed

Post by Joseph Slo » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> FastTrack is probably just a little bit easier to set up and
> maintain than Apache, and Caldera is trying to create a viable
> option for mainstream users.  Of course the typical Linux
> user has no problems getting Apache to work as wanted, but it
> IS a bit more complicated than for instance Microsoft's IIS.
> And of course, there's nothing to stop you from installing
> and using Apache on OpenLinux anyhow, should you so desire.

I've used Slackware, Caldera and RedHat, and I prefer RedHat overall.
Caldera does have some very nice features, especially their netware
utilities, e.g. netware automounter, graphical bindery navigation and
drag & drop printing.

The netscape fasttrack server has a really nice administration front
end via html, but other than that (and the name-recognition value)
it is inferior to apache 1.2.0. I have run benchmarks on them and was
suprised to discover that netscape fastrack server is not very fast.
What's more, it does not understand keep-alive. Apache trounces it
badly when keep-alive is used. If you really want excess speed, there's
the Zeus server, which is in a league of it's own...

Caldera's desktop is the nicest implementation of fvwm and goodstuff
I've seen, and the drag-n-drop lg makes it even nicer. But under
the surface Caldera is using some pretty stale old RedHat utilities,
which aren't as capable as the current ones.

More importantly to me, I have the most success in compiling and running
packages from the net on RedHat. One of the things that really won me
over to RedHat was that I'd have to compile stuff on my RedHat box and
move it over to my Slackware box since I couldn't get it to compile there.
(e.g. Sverre's card games) ditto for Caldera - e.g. I couldn't get Knews
to build on Caldera, but it built with no problem on RedHat.

Overall, Caldera is an excellent solution for those who have a novell
environment, or who install once and don't mess with anything ever.

OTOH, RedHat + CDE + Applix is a killer combo, and a stable, powerful
platform for hacking. I also find that windows folk around here are
impressed by the CDE desktop.

Cheers,

jjs

Post by Leigh Porte » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> > FastTrack is probably just a little bit easier to set up and
> > maintain than Apache, and Caldera is trying to create a viable
> > option for mainstream users.  Of course the typical Linux
> > user has no problems getting Apache to work as wanted, but it
> > IS a bit more complicated than for instance Microsoft's IIS.
> > And of course, there's nothing to stop you from installing
> > and using Apache on OpenLinux anyhow, should you so desire.

> I've used Slackware, Caldera and RedHat, and I prefer RedHat overall.
> Caldera does have some very nice features, especially their netware
> utilities, e.g. netware automounter, graphical bindery navigation and
> drag & drop printing.

I always used to use Slakware and only now use RedHat for install
ease and security. RedHat and Caldera all have handy utils missing
RedHat for instance does not install joe by default, you have to
install it seperatly which is nothing but blashpheomy(SP) AFAIAC :)

It does not indlude usefull utils that I find I have to keep aside
for when I do an install, like:

whois, fromdos, todos and one or two others..

Quote:> The netscape fasttrack server has a really nice administration front
> end via html, but other than that (and the name-recognition value)
> it is inferior to apache 1.2.0. I have run benchmarks on them and was
> suprised to discover that netscape fastrack server is not very fast.
> What's more, it does not understand keep-alive. Apache trounces it
> badly when keep-alive is used. If you really want excess speed, there's
> the Zeus server, which is in a league of it's own...

Agreed, like many commercial things FastTrak looks neat and tidy
and does little compared to freeer things like apache, besides,
with linuxconf apache is very configurable!

Quote:> Caldera's desktop is the nicest implementation of fvwm and goodstuff
> I've seen, and the drag-n-drop lg makes it even nicer. But under
> the surface Caldera is using some pretty stale old RedHat utilities,
> which aren't as capable as the current ones.

I remember they used a grotesq version of old CROND when I first
installed it ages ago, that has changed now AFAIK! drag'n'drop
is nice but I find I hardly ever use it!

Quote:> Overall, Caldera is an excellent solution for those who have a novell
> environment, or who install once and don't mess with anything ever.

Indeed, the orig version promised install-once never again, soon
as OpenLinux comes out it's install-over-again! RedHat promised
a similar thing andkept to it, I only ever do an upgrade now and
the RedHat dependencies although sometimes broken work damn fine!

Quote:> OTOH, RedHat + CDE + Applix is a killer combo, and a stable, powerful
> platform for hacking. I also find that windows folk around here are
> impressed by the CDE desktop.

Never tried the CDE desktop, but it looks good! Anyway I can play
with it before deciding upon a purchase?

Quote:> Cheers,

--
Leigh Porter
Wisper Bandwidth Plc