Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

Post by david h » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I need a comment on Linux-FT claimed running ELF binaries . Currently they
only carry one package 99$ quite expensive. Could someone tell me about
it before I pay for it. Thanks in advance.

--

Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

Post by Anthony Barl » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi

: I need a comment on Linux-FT claimed running ELF binaries . Currently they
: only carry one package 99$ quite expensive. Could someone tell me about
: it before I pay for it. Thanks in advance.

I run linux-FT without much hassel except that the config files in /etc have
changed slighty. Other than that it's great and would recommend it to anyone.
If you can get a version greater than 1 go for that as some of the man pages
are still for the old system.

Regard,
tony

Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

Post by Ian Sla » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hello, I've just received my copy of ft this morning - there were two cd's
one with source and the other binaries. The cost was about 30 UKP(inc p+p+VAT)
So far I am reasonably impressed but have not undertaken the full install yet.
I am under the impression that they have really tried to hide all the config
options which we used to have with slackware, I am new to all this (2 previous
slackware's) so am taking things slowly. For the amount of download time saved
, even at the UNI's expense, I think that it is good value for money. It has
to be said that they tell you exactly what you're getting down to the version
which is more than some of the other releases.

        If you want, mail me in a few days and I'll tell you properly...

                Ian/

: Hi

: : I need a comment on Linux-FT claimed running ELF binaries . Currently they
: : only carry one package 99$ quite expensive. Could someone tell me about
: : it before I pay for it. Thanks in advance.

: I run linux-FT without much hassel except that the config files in /etc have
: changed slighty. Other than that it's great and would recommend it to anyone.
: If you can get a version greater than 1 go for that as some of the man pages
: are still for the old system.

: Regard,
: tony

Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

Post by Steve Dunh » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hi

: : I need a comment on Linux-FT claimed running ELF binaries . Currently they
: : only carry one package 99$ quite expensive. Could someone tell me about
: : it before I pay for it. Thanks in advance.

: I run linux-FT without much hassel except that the config files in /etc have
: changed slighty. Other than that it's great and would recommend it to anyone.
: If you can get a version greater than 1 go for that as some of the man pages
: are still for the old system.

Which version of GCC comes with linux-FT (type `gcc -v')?  Does it
come with source?

Steve

Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

Post by Anthony Barl » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: : I run linux-FT without much hassel except that the config files in /etc have
: : changed slighty. Other than that it's great and would recommend it to anyone.
: : If you can get a version greater than 1 go for that as some of the man pages
: : are still for the old system.

: Which version of GCC comes with linux-FT (type `gcc -v')?  Does it
: come with source?

2.6.3 - I haven't looked for the source, but when I got it it came on 5 cd's. Linux archive TSX-11, Linux Archive Sunsite, Linux Archive Distrebutions, and Linux FT Run time CD. I think that it does come with full source code. There's that much stuff in these CD's it would take a day just to go through them ;-)

Regards,
Anthony

Linux-FT ? Is it good ??

Post by Jeff Bau » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I've been using it for about 2 days on a Toshiba T2150CDT
laptop.  The main reason I purchased it was for the compiled
ELF binaries.  If you're doing development, this can save you
a minor hassle.  The other thing I like is its copy-cache.
This automatically moves files from CDROM  (built-in on my
laptop)  to disk as they are accessed, but removes the least-used
stuff once it reached specific capacity  (default = 100MB or 50% disk
free).

The kernel version for Linux-FT Rev.1.0 is 1.2.5.

My only gripe is how they changed the /etc structure without
documenting the changes.  The new structure is sensible and not
difficult to follow, but the users who rely on the O'Reilly
books will have a few difficulties.  An errata sheet documenting
the differences between Linux-FT and say, SlackWare, would be
welcome.

1. Am I a good candidate for Linux?

Netscape Communicator (free)

Take your pick, among which are StarOffice, http://www.stardivision.com
and ApplixWare, http://www.applix.com/appware/index.htm, some of which
are free for personal use.

Communicator, but there are probably other tools (I don't do much web
development). Cold Fusion (http://www.allaire.com), etc. will be
available
in the future.

GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program (free)

Any comments from those who run Quake on Linux?

Regards,
Ed
--
   Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
   A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

2. Ftape - tape capacity

3. install Linux before linux-Ft?

4. Linux Websurfing

5. Are LINUX-FT fixes folded into Linux/GNU to gcc ?

6. how to update the ports

7. Linux-FT versus Linux-LDR

8. pthreads binaries

9. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

10. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

11. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

12. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

13. I am interested in suggestions for a good OpenSource C++ IDE