trouble after kernel recompile

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Recently I recompiled my kernel from 1.2.13 to 2.0.30. Beforehand, I
> updated libc, libg++, ld.so, and make.  According to the documentation
> my gcc was a suitable version, so I left it and binutils alone.

> Now I have certain problems.  Most importantly, I have a problem
> after i run dip connect.  I get a slip address and all is fine,
> but when I try to telnet or run Netscape, I get something to the
> effect of "Can't locate DNS entry"

> Also, make no longer works with 'makefile' unless I specifically
> instruct it to.  I must type  'make -f makefile'.  It did work
> okay after I updated it but before I recompiled the kernel.

> Finally, top no longer works, it gives me a floating point exception.

I assume you read linux/Documentation/Changes?

Anyways, you need to upgrade psutils package to fix top.

As for make, you forgot to read the relase notes for libc!  There was a bug
in older versions of libc that make depended on.  When the bug went away,
make broke.  Downgrade to the older libc, upgrade make to the latest, 3.75,
then switch back up to the new libc.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

1. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

I have two linux machines: one is an IDE system and the other is SCSI.

On the IDE machine, I have just upgraded from Kernel 1.2.11 to 1.2.13.
I got a new kernel source and renamed the old kernel directory tree to
something like linux.old. then I went through the entire proceedure:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage

after the compile I did :

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
rdev -R zImage 1
rdev -v zImage -1
rdev zImage /dev/hda2
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
cat zImage > /dev/fd0H1440

Everything *seemed* to work fine. BUT when I tried to boot off of the
hard disk and not the floppy, it clearly came up with Kernel 1.2.11,
which was the old one. When I booted from the floppy, it came up with
kernel 1.2.13, which was the new one .

There must be an additional step to set LILO to boot from the new
kernel, but I can find nothing about it in the documentation.

Also, with my SCSI machine, I have loaded linux for the first time. I
went through the whole proceedure and recompiled the kernel just as
above, with my other machine.

The problem is that when I boot up the system goes into AUTOPROBE. It
taked about 7 minutes for this to complete before the system fully
boots. I went through the recompile process again and was very careful
to NOT include the following step which looked suspicious to me:
"Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device".

I can boot from the hard disk without this happening. I am now
suspicious that I am not really booting from the recompiled kernel.

Please help

thank you

Tom

2. Unix Programming FAQ (v1.31)

3. trouble after kernel recompile

4. startx COREs if not root

5. Trouble Recompiling Kernel

6. HSP modems

7. Trouble with kernel recompile

8. Source for SSA cables and adapters?

9. Trouble with CC compiler when recompiling kernel

10. Trouble Recompiling kernel

11. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?

12. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

13. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel