This release includes many changes since 0.5.18. A list is included
The primary focus of this release is to fix bugs in 0.5.18 and add
a few new features that are considered "safe". 0.5.19 is intended as
a drop-in replacement for 0.5.18, with no changes likely to significantly
affect code generation.
Not included in this release, but still in development, is support
for DEC Alpha (AXP) and fixes to COMPLEX support on certain machines.
information on plans for future releases.
g77-0.5.18-0.5.19.diff.gz -- Patch file to apply to 0.5.18
g77-0.5.19.tar.gz -- Complete 0.5.19 distribution
NOTE: The patch file does not include patches to the Info documentation,
which is derived from the texinfo sources in the distribution (and
updated via the patch). This is to reduce the size of the patch file.
If you don't have makeinfo version 1.67 (or more recent) installed
(distributed as texinfo-3.9.tar.gz), obtain and use the full distribution
instead. However, it is definitely worthwhile having texinfo installed
and making full use of GNU Info documentation!
after first reviewing the documentation, and the .plan file
obtained by the "finger" or "ftp" commands described therein.
(GNU Fortran is a free replacement for the UNIX f77 Fortran compiler,
and is currently in beta testing. To build it requires the GNU CC
source distribution, Version 2.6.3 through 2.7.)
tq vm, (burley)
* Fix `FORMAT' statement parsing so negative values for specifiers
such as `P' (e.g. `FORMAT(-1PF8.1)') are correctly processed as
* Fix `SIGNAL' intrinsic so it once again accepts a procedure as its
* A temporary kludge option provides bare-bones information on
`COMMON' and `EQUIVALENCE' members at debug time.
* New `-fonetrip' option specifies FORTRAN-66-style one-trip `DO'
* New `-fno-silent' option causes names of program units to be
printed as they are compiled, in a fashion similar to UNIX `f77'
* New `-fugly-assumed' option specifies that arrays dimensioned via
`DIMENSION X(1)', for example, are to be treated as assumed-size.
* New `-fno-typeless-boz' option specifies that non-decimal-radix
constants using the prefixed-radix form (such as `Z'1234'') are to
be interpreted as `INTEGER' constants.
* New `-ff66' option is a "shorthand" option that specifies
behaviors considered appropriate for FORTRAN 66 programs.
* New `-ff77' option is a "shorthand" option that specifies
behaviors considered appropriate for UNIX `f77' programs.
* New `-fugly-comma' and `-fugly-logint' options provided to perform
some of what `-fugly' used to do. `-fugly' and `-fno-ugly' are
now "shorthand" options, in that they do nothing more than enable
(or disable) other `-fugly-*' options.
* Fix parsing of assignment statements involving targets that are
substrings of elements of `CHARACTER' arrays having names such as
`READ', `WRITE', `GOTO', and `REALFUNCTIONFOO'.
* Fix crashes involving diagnosed code.
* Fix handling of local `EQUIVALENCE' areas so certain cases of
valid Fortran programs are not misdiagnosed as improperly
extending the area backwards.
* Support `gcc' version 220.127.116.11.
* Upgrade to `libf2c' as of 1996-09-26, and fix up some of the build
* Change code generation for list-directed I/O so it allows for new
versions of `libf2c' that might return non-zero status codes for
some operations previously assumed to always return zero.
This change not only affects how `IOSTAT=' variables are set by
list-directed I/O, it also affects whether `END=' and `ERR='
labels are reached by these operations.
* Add intrinsic support for new `FTELL' and `FSEEK' procedures in
* Modify `fseek_()' in `libf2c' to be more portable (though, in
practice, there might be no systems where this matters) and to
catch invalid `whence' arguments.
* Some useless warnings from the `-Wunused' option have been
* Fix a problem building the `f771' executable on AIX systems by
linking with the `-bbigtoc' option.
* Abort configuration if `gcc' has not been patched using the patch
file provided in the `gcc/f/gbe/' subdirectory.
* Add options `--help' and `--version' to the `g77' command, to
conform to GNU coding guidelines. Also add printing of `g77'
version number when the `--verbose' (`-v') option is used.
* Change internally generated name for local `EQUIVALENCE' areas to
one based on the alphabetically sorted first name in the list of
names for entities placed at the beginning of the areas.
* Improvements to documentation and indexing.
[ Most GNU software is packed using the GNU `gzip' compression program.
Source code is available on most sites distributing GNU software.
For information on how to order GNU software on tape or cd-rom, and
printed GNU manuals, check the file etc/ORDERS in the GNU Emacs
distribution, ftp the file /pub/gnu/GNUinfo/ORDERS on prep, or
By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
develop more free software. Media revenues are our primary source of
support. Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.
The above software will soon be at these ftp sites as well.
Please try them before prep.ai.mit.edu as prep is very busy!
ASIA: ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp, tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
AUSTRALIA: archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
EUROPE: irisa.irisa.fr/pub/gnu, ftp.univ-lyon1.fr:pub/gnu,
src.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu, ftp.ieunet.ie:pub/gnu, ftp.eunet.ch,
nic.sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu, ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu, ftp.nl.net,
ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu, ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu, ftp.denet.dk,
ftp.stacken.kth.se, isy.liu.se, ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu,
SOUTH AMERICA: ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu, ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
WESTERN CANADA: ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
USA: wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu, labrea.stanford.edu,
ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu, ftp.kpc.com/pub/mirror/gnu, f.ms.uky.edu/pub3/gnu,