File transfer over serial interface without ppp

File transfer over serial interface without ppp

Post by fra.. » Thu, 22 May 2003 00:08:36

Frank Hrebabetzky       Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis                     +55 / 48 / 9998 7686

File transfer over serial interface without ppp

Post by Bill Marcu » Thu, 22 May 2003 06:09:50

kermit
sz rz
uucp

--
A herd of wild coffee mugs slumbers here.

File transfer over serial interface without ppp

Post by bd » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:39:33

Try asking a question - you tend to get an answer that way.

File transfer over serial interface without ppp

Post by fra.. » Thu, 22 May 2003 12:24:59

Problem:
I finally got linux installed on that old notebook without CD drive and
without network card, so everything had to go via floppy. For a more
convenient way of data IO I tried to install ppp over the serial interface
("laplink"), but the floppy drive died before I could install the ppp
package.

Question:
Is there a way to transfer a file (ppp.tgz) over the serial interface
without ppp, without dedicated software, something like
desktop:  'cp ppp.tgz /dev/ttyS1'
notebook: 'cat /dev/ttyS0 > ppp.tgz' ?

Without communication, the notebook is useless an I can throw it away as
well. Which is not a matter of cost, but of already invested time.

Frank Hrebabetzky       Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis                     +55 / 48 / 9998 7686

File transfer over serial interface without ppp

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 22 May 2003 15:19:32

Quote:> Question:
> Is there a way to transfer a file (ppp.tgz) over the serial interface
> without ppp, without dedicated software, something like
> desktop:  'cp ppp.tgz /dev/ttyS1'

If at all, I'd try on the desktop:
'cat ppp.tgz > /dev/ttyS1'

Quote:> notebook: 'cat /dev/ttyS0 > ppp.tgz' ?

However this has no error checking at all, build md5sum of the file and compare
after transferring. Let us know if this works.

Quote:> Without communication, the notebook is useless an I can throw it away as
> well. Which is not a matter of cost, but of already invested time.

With a little luck, you have minicom or kermit on the laptop, which could
be used to transfer files more reliable.

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Post by Rainer Krienk » Thu, 22 May 2003 20:39:52

> Problem:
> I finally got linux installed on that old notebook without CD drive and
> without network card, so everything had to go via floppy. For a more
> convenient way of data IO I tried to install ppp over the serial interface
> ("laplink"), but the floppy drive died before I could install the ppp
> package.

> Question:
> Is there a way to transfer a file (ppp.tgz) over the serial interface
> without ppp, without dedicated software, something like
> desktop:  'cp ppp.tgz /dev/ttyS1'
> notebook: 'cat /dev/ttyS0 > ppp.tgz' ?

If you want some errorchecking facilities you could use the zmodem protokoll
implemented by sz (send) and rz (reveive). Basically you say sz file on one
side of your serial line and then rz filecopy on the other end. sz/rz
ensures that there were no errors xmitting your data which is I think
really useful for a serial line.

Have a nice day
Rainer

Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312

Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html