Sound Problem with MediaMagic ISP-16

Post by Doug D. Steve » Thu, 06 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I've been trying to get my sound card to work with Linux.  I've read the howto
docs on sound card installation, recompiled the kernal for a Sound Blaster Pro
but it doesn't work.

The card I have is a MediaMagic ISP-16, its suspose to be a Sound Blaster Pro
compatible.  I've setup the IRQ and DRQ and port to be the same as my setup
in DOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Here are the specifics:
P90 running Slackware 2.2.0

When I try to run the test suggested in the install document I get this error:

bash# cat theme.au > /dev/audio
cat: write error: I/O error

----------------------------
Here is the info I get from 'cat /dev/sndstat':

Config options: 31402

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: SoundBlaster

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 0 drq 0

PCM devices:
0: SoundBlaster 2.1

Synth devices:
0: OPL-2

Midi devices:

MIDI Timers:
0: System Timer

0 mixer(s) installed

----------------------------
And when running 'dmsg' I get this:

SoundBlaster: DSP Command(d1) Timeout.
IRQ conflict???
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

Sound Problem with MediaMagic ISP-16

Post by Salil Athal » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

To the best of my knowledge, this card requires an init program that runs
under DOS.  If you boot DOS first and then run the ispinit.exe program then
boot to Linux
it may work for you.  Personally, I know it is a very good card, I own one, however
I bought a Proaudio Spectrum which runs great under both OS/2 and Linux.

Hope this helps,

Salil Athalye

Sound Problem with MediaMagic ISP-16

Post by Michael Buchenrieder - SysAdmin » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>bash# cat theme.au > /dev/audio
>cat: write error: I/O error
>And when running 'dmsg' I get this:
>SoundBlaster: DSP Command(d1) Timeout.
>IRQ conflict???
>Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

Yup - you may not have two devices sharing the same interupt.
IRQ 7 may be fine with DOS - it's not to be used with any UN*X,
because it's already occupied by your printer.
This combination doesn't matter with DOS/WIN applications ,
besides the fact that printing wouldn't work while using your
soundcard neither, but in Linux you have to put the soundcard
on any other free IRQ; usually 5 or 10 (if available) are
free (assuming you don't have a busmouse or similar equipment).

Michael

|                ...bleakness...desolation...plastic forks...              |

Post by Doug D. Steve » Sat, 08 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>To the best of my knowledge, this card requires an init program that runs
>under DOS.  If you boot DOS first and then run the ispinit.exe program then
>boot to Linux
>it may work for you.  Personally, I know it is a very good card, I own one, however
>I bought a Proaudio Spectrum which runs great under both OS/2 and Linux.

>Hope this helps,

>Salil Athalye

Yep this works...  Here is what I did to get it work.  Boot up in DOS, RESET
your machine and load Linux.  This is not the most elequent solution but it
works.

I talked to tech support for MediaMagic they said the same thing, you have to
initialize the card before it will work.  The person I talked to said they
were working on drivers for OS2 and NT but he didn't think any work was being
done for Linux and no documentation was avaliable on how to initialize the card.

Thanks for the help,
Doug