Orchid SoundWave 32 results

Post by Sunny Y » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 14:36:08

Well, I re-compiled my kernel v1.0.7 with snd-driv 2.4 and got the
snd-utils 2.4 off of sunsite.  Anyway, I configured the driver for
SoundBlaster and MPU-401 support with default settings (my settings
for the SoundWave's emulation are set up for default settings).

So, to make a long story short:

IT WORKS.

It doesn't sound so great, however.

I can use vplay to play .wavs, str/tracker to play .mods, cat .au to
/dev/audio.  Rplay/rplayd doesn't work anymore (well it works.. kinda,
but is *really* messed up... it like buffers a few seconds of sound up
then when I kill rplayd it starts playing... whatever...).

Also, when playing .mods with str or tracker (under X), if I move
windows around or do lots of I/O, the  the playback dies and I get a
message in /usr/adm/messages telling me that there was a DMA timeout
error.  Oh well.  It works most of the time.

I didn't see if playing .wavs and doing I/O would result in the same
thing... I imagine it will.

Overall:

Its ok, not great (what do you expect out of soundblaster emulation
anyway?).  I wish Linux had "native" (ie: DSP level) support for it.
BUT, it works, to an extent.  It is better than not having any sound.

How I got it to work (should work with SoundWave 32 *AND* GameWave 32):

1.  Boot up MS-DOG and run the init program (SW32.EXE for the SoundWave
32).  This should initialize the DSP and load the appropriate DSP
code into it.

2.  Use CTRL-ALT-DEL or some warm-boot program to re-boot your system
with Linux.

3.  Use SoundBlaster emulation under Linux.

---

TESTED WITH sound driver and utils v2.4.
Kernel 1.0.7, no other patches
Orchid SoundWave 32 (SW32.EXE v2.21 w/MT-32 DSP patches, SB-emulation,
        default hardware settings)
486/66, 8MB RAM, 16MB swap

---

Opinion:

Don't get the SoundWave 32 if you are mainly going to use it for Linux
(until there are "native" drivers available, or at least better drivers
for MT-32 or GM or something that sound better than SB crap).

DO get the SoundWave 32 if you plan on using sound on Linux occasionally,
and use MS-DOG for games/sound/etc.  The sound quality of this card's
MT-32 MIDI is quite decent, IMHO, and the price is decent ($190 US).
Compatibility is also excellent, and Orchid is usually pretty good (in
my experience) with customer service and getting updates to enhancements
and bugfixes for their stuff out as quickly as possible.

Guess thats it...

sdy
-watch babylon 5-

1. Stealth 32, Orchid Soundwave 32 and Sony CDU33a

I have a couple of problems I need help with:

1) I have an Orchid Soundwave 32 sound card.  To that I have attached a Sony
CDU-33a.  My problems with this are the following:

    a)  I have to boot DOS first to get the sound card to work (and load the
midgen.ld or mt32.ld).
    b)  I also have to boot under DOS first to get the address configured for
the CDU-33a from the soundcard.

Has anyone written a patch for the CD-ROM problem and does anyone have a
loader for the Soundwave 32?

2)  X-Windows configuration:

    a) No matter what I do, I can't get the video configured right.  I have a
Diamond Stealth 32 ET4000/W32p card and an NEC 3FGe Monitor.
        I am aware that X-Windows doesn't support most Diamond products, but I
don't see why it still won't work using the W32 driver.  I have even tried the
SVGA server, but with the same results.  The biggest headache I have is
setting the dot clocks.  I get a message about not being able to set mode
because there are no defined clocks for it.  I have tried the XFree Config
included and its a no go.  I looked through every doc I have and come up bust.
 Can somebody please save my sanity!  I am trying to get i
t to work in 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, in 8bit, 16, and 32, if possible.
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Linux 1.1.59 currently (Slackware) but I also have version 1.2.3
floating around somewhere.
My machine is a 486DX2/66(Intel) 8meg, Diamond Stealth 32 ET4000w32p (2Meg
board, DRAM) Sony CDU33a attached to the Soundwave 32, Conner tape backup
(250M), and it is slighty modified to run at 80 Meg.  2 Western Digital Hard
drives (540 and 210 Meg), Linux on the second (210).

Pleze help!!!!!!

webpage http//:www.primenet.com/~nme/index.html

2. Apache served binaries files not recognised by browser as binary, but displayed

3. orchid soundwave 32

4. How to write boot block to alternate boot partition

5. How to use Orchid SoundWave 32?

6. 3c905 100Mbps: RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR?

7. Help choosing a Soundcard/CDROM combo (Orchid soundwave 32)

8. CDE coredums on login

9. Orchid Soundwave 32...

10. Instal ?/Orchid Soundwave 32

11. Orchid Soundwave 32

12. Future Domain 9C50 SCSI chip (as in Orchid SoundWave 32 pro SCSI)

13. Mitsumi + Orchid Soundwave 32