What should I do when Linux OS says "give root password for maintenance"?

What should I do when Linux OS says "give root password for maintenance"?

Post by Tren » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 02:18:47

Hello, everyone.

When being forced to shut my Red Hat 7.1 Linux down improperly, I
powered the system on again. It said this. "Error occured during the
file system check. Dropping you to a shell, exit the shell, system
will reboot automatically. or Ctrl + D for normal startup"

Ctrl + D for normal startup didn't work. It came up with the same
error.

I supplied the root password, I got in. However, I didn't know what I
should to repair the error.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Trent

Post by Robert Sherma » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:25:46

> Hello, everyone.

> When being forced to shut my Red Hat 7.1 Linux down improperly, I
> powered the system on again. It said this. "Error occured during the
> file system check. Dropping you to a shell, exit the shell, system
> will reboot automatically. or Ctrl + D for normal startup"

> Ctrl + D for normal startup didn't work. It came up with the same
> error.

> I supplied the root password, I got in. However, I didn't know what I
> should to repair the error.

> Any suggestion is appreciated.

> Thanks.

> Trent

fsck until you get no errors, then init 6

What should I do when Linux OS says "give root password for maintenance"?

Post by Swif » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 02:32:10

Quote:>  When being forced to shut my Red Hat 7.1 Linux down improperly, I
>  powered the system on again. It said this. "Error occured during the
>  file system check. Dropping you to a shell, exit the shell, system
>  will reboot automatically. or Ctrl + D for normal startup"

>  Ctrl + D for normal startup didn't work. It came up with the same
>  error.

>  I supplied the root password, I got in. However, I didn't know what I
>  should to repair the error.

e2fsck -a /dev/$DEVICE

$DEVICE is the device that gives an error. It should be mentioned somewhere
on your screen.

--
 SwifT                     -    Key-ID CDBA2FDB
 LUG: http://www.lugwv.be  -    http://www.keyserver.net

Post by cbbro.. » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 02:33:05

> Hello, everyone.

> When being forced to shut my Red Hat 7.1 Linux down improperly, I
> powered the system on again. It said this. "Error occured during the
> file system check. Dropping you to a shell, exit the shell, system
> will reboot automatically. or Ctrl + D for normal startup"

> Ctrl + D for normal startup didn't work. It came up with the same
> error.

> I supplied the root password, I got in. However, I didn't know what I
> should to repair the error.

> Any suggestion is appreciated.

The appropriate thing to do is to manually do some filesystem checks.

Perhaps something like:

# e2fsck /dev/hda2
# e2fsck /dev/hda3

It'll vary based on what drives and partitions you have; the point is
to run e2fsck on the partitions you have, and, in particular, the
partitions the system is griping about.

--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/finances.html
Rules of the  Evil Overlord #22. "No matter how tempted  I am with the

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 04:04:31

Quote:> When being forced to shut my Red Hat 7.1 Linux down improperly, I
> powered the system on again. It said this. "Error occured during the

By the way - compiling "Magic SysReq" key support in the kernel allows
you to sync your disks even when the kernel seems pretty hosed (only
extreme cases where the SysReq key does not respond).

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

What should I do when Linux OS says "give root password for maintenance"?

Post by Thaddeus L Olcz » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 07:27:17

Quote:>Hello, everyone.

>When being forced to shut my Red Hat 7.1 Linux down improperly, I
>powered the system on again. It said this. "Error occured during the
>file system check. Dropping you to a shell, exit the shell, system
>will reboot automatically. or Ctrl + D for normal startup"

>Ctrl + D for normal startup didn't work. It came up with the same
>error.

>I supplied the root password, I got in. However, I didn't know what I
>should to repair the error.

>Any suggestion is appreciated.

This same thing happened to an associate about 8 years ago.
He was in charge of a Solaris workstation. On day I walked into the
room to use it. He was doing something on it, so I slunk into the
terminal next to it and worked/waited. After about fif* minutes the
guy screamed "Why do I keep having to reboot?" I looked over and
said to him the same thing I say to you,
"DUhhh. Why don't you run fsck manually lije it tells you to?"

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 05:34:49

> Hello, everyone.

> When being forced to shut my Red Hat 7.1 Linux down improperly, I
> powered the system on again. It said this. "Error occured during the
> file system check. Dropping you to a shell, exit the shell, system
> will reboot automatically. or Ctrl + D for normal startup"

> Ctrl + D for normal startup didn't work. It came up with the same
> error.

> I supplied the root password, I got in. However, I didn't know what I
> should to repair the error.

> Any suggestion is appreciated.

> Thanks.

> Trent

After giving the password, execute

# e2fsck -y /dev/<whatever_partition_failed>

1. I say "Hello" Linux says "Goodbye" ... aaarghhh

Hello all,
after much blood, sweat, tears and swearing I got Linux running on a
Compaq 386/20. It has 10MB RAM, about 1GB disk space and a CD-ROM.
It recently gone on the internet as an ftp resource.

Everything worked fine at first but now Telnet & ftp have become unreliable.
When they work, they work fine. However when they don't:

- FTP session
  Open <symbolic address> says:

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "Escape character is '^]'."
  "Connection closed by foreign host."

- Telnet session

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"

  and drops me back to the Linux prompt.

It does this regardless of the client (DOS, Windows, Mac or Un*x).
Ping finds the box and since it sometimes works I'm a bit stuck on
what to try next. I've tried "kill -HUP <inetd PID>". The damn
thing is visible and connect-to-able...

Our campus uses nameservers and I've included four in resolv.conf.
Name resolution uses "named" nameservers first. (Order bind, host
in host.conf).

I've just tried *again* and ... then damn thing is now working!!!
I have a few ideas but don't know how to test them, they are:

- Could it be something is timing out (our network is very busy
  and slow quite often) ? How do I confirm this ?

- Could it be some connection limit (shouldn't be, it's very rare
  that more than one person are connected at once).
  Where is this info held ?

- Could it be a name resolution funny (would "host" help here ?).
  Can I test this ?

- Could it be the first Telnet request(s) fail until some
  sort of dynamic table somewhere is updated ?

- Is inetd not loading telnetd for some reason ?

I've checked that the symbolic name and IP number are correct.
The system does a reboot (via a cron script) but this is
identical to another (486) Linux box which works fine ...

I've read books, scanned FAQs etc. but don't really know
where I can sensibly look next. I don't expect answers,
just suggestions of what/where to looknext.
I apologise if this is a trivial or stupid question, I'm
an acting sysadmin with my "L" plates still on ...

Also, another query:
Where is lpd loaded at boot-time ?
Can it safely be *not* loaded to save CPU and RAM ?
(the machine doesn't have a printer attached).

Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions,
   Andy.

2. Solaris Directory Problem....

3. Q: "LILO: linux 1" doesn't give password-less root entry

4. Linux-2.4.19pre3-ac5

6. UK keyboard and Spanish characters

7. sh says: test "$1" = "" when $1="-b"

8. Printer setup

9. "weof" operation in "mt" command gives "permission denied"

10. "Login" and "su" issue with root password

11. "Novell-like","non-TCP/IP","networking" OS to place Unix

12. Sun says "Skip 2.3 Maintenance Patches"