Changing system

Post by Thaddeus L Olczy » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 21:56:06

I am encountering a problem with a system I rebuilt.
Thisis a system that was once two systems but one Mobo
fried. Since they use the same mobo ( one difference
the unfired one has built in SCSI ), I simply merged the
two systems.

The unfried system used NT/98 ( boot sectors/partions on /dev/hda ),
the fried system used NT/Linux ( NT boot sector on /dev/sda, first
partition of SCSI held the boot partition of linux, the linux boot
sector was the third ( counting the extended partition ) partition on
the SCSI drive. Both had System Commander on them. The second machine
used a IDE hard drive for most of the partitions of Linux. I moved
that drive to hdd. I adjusted ( changed hda to hdd ) the lilo.conf and
/etc/fstab entries to reflect this.

So when I boot from SCSI and choose Linux, the system boots fine.
But when I boot from hda and choose Linux, the system locks on LI
Since I would rather repartion sda1 to remove NT, I would like to
boot from hda. Any ideas how to fix this?

About the only hint I have is that there is this boot=0x80 in my
lilo.conf which I beileve was supposed to get it to treat sda as the
first boot device. But I don't think that that is the problem.

Changing system

Post by Thaddeus L Olczy » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 00:35:39

I relised the title was misleading so I am reposting with a few
corrections.
On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:56:06 GMT, Thaddeus L Olczyk

>I am encountering a problem with a system I rebuilt.
>Thisis a system that was once two systems but one Mobo
>fried. Since they use the same mobo ( one difference
>the unfired one has built in SCSI ), I simply merged the
>two systems.

Actually when I think about it I simply moved the unfried system to
the case of the fried system ( I like the case better ). Then I added
memory and hardrives ( before just sda and hda, now sda, with new
hda,hdb, and hdd ( old hda ).
Quote:>The unfried system used NT/98 ( boot sectors/partions on /dev/hda ),
>the fried system used NT/Linux ( NT boot sector on /dev/sda, first
>partition of SCSI held the boot partition of linux, the linux boot
>sector was the third ( counting the extended partition ) partition on
>the SCSI drive. Both had System Commander on them. The second machine
>used a IDE hard drive for most of the partitions of Linux. I moved
>that drive to hdd. I adjusted ( changed hda to hdd ) the lilo.conf and
>/etc/fstab entries to reflect this.

>So when I boot from SCSI and choose Linux, the system boots fine.
>But when I boot from hda and choose Linux, the system locks on LI
>Since I would rather repartion sda1 to remove NT, I would like to
>boot from hda. Any ideas how to fix this?

>About the only hint I have is that there is this boot=0x80 in my
>lilo.conf which I beileve was supposed to get it to treat sda as the
>first boot device. But I don't think that that is the problem.

Changing system

Post by Bill Marcu » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 06:52:58

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:56:06 GMT,

Quote:> I am encountering a problem with a system I rebuilt.
> Thisis a system that was once two systems but one Mobo
> fried. Since they use the same mobo ( one difference
> the unfired one has built in SCSI ), I simply merged the
> two systems.

> The unfried system used NT/98 ( boot sectors/partions on /dev/hda ),
> the fried system used NT/Linux ( NT boot sector on /dev/sda, first
> partition of SCSI held the boot partition of linux, the linux boot
> sector was the third ( counting the extended partition ) partition on
> the SCSI drive. Both had System Commander on them. The second machine
> used a IDE hard drive for most of the partitions of Linux. I moved
> that drive to hdd. I adjusted ( changed hda to hdd ) the lilo.conf and
> /etc/fstab entries to reflect this.

Did you run lilo after you changed lilo.conf?

Quote:> So when I boot from SCSI and choose Linux, the system boots fine.
> But when I boot from hda and choose Linux, the system locks on LI
> Since I would rather repartion sda1 to remove NT, I would like to
> boot from hda. Any ideas how to fix this?

> About the only hint I have is that there is this boot=0x80 in my
> lilo.conf which I beileve was supposed to get it to treat sda as the
> first boot device. But I don't think that that is the problem.

Try changing it to boot=/dev/hda

1. change system mailbox/procmail

Hello,

the standard system mailbox (linux redhat) is /var/spool/mail.
If procmail is used and this location is changed then the
mails are deliverd to this new location - fine. But the mail
clients (e.g. netscape) don't search at this new location,
but still in /var/spool/mail.

Is there a standard solution?

Thx.

  Rico

2. Linux<->Windows connection using USB host-to-host cable

3. Changing SYstem time!!help!!

4. Got mandrake 6.1 up, now how do I run the "virtual network" ???

5. changing system parameters

6. Private CGI-dir - a security risk?

7. Changing System Time

8. tcp/ip vs. serial connection

9. how do i change system links in lilo

10. How to change system message when password expires

11. Change System Name - Is this procedure still valid?

12. How to autostart daemon and change system path?

13. Changing system passwords through WWW