Reading Audio CD Data from CDROM Drive?

Post by Y. F. Ch » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'd like to read audio data off my audio CD in my Mitsumi FX100D 2x
CDROM drive. I see no support in the mcd.c driver in
/usr/src/linux/devices/block (no ioctl support for CDROMREADAUDIO). I
also see there is such support in sbpcd.c driver. My kernel is 1.2.13
(I think, the last stable release).

My question is: 1) Does 2x Mitsumi CDROM drive support audio CD data
read? 2) if yes, is there a newer Mitsumi driver out there that
supports this function?  (probably in 1.3.* kernels?)

Thanks for any info and pointers.

Yang

:
: My question is: 1) Does 2x Mitsumi CDROM drive support audio CD data
: read?

Simple answer: no. The hardware is unable to do it.

However, the sbpcd driver does it quite well, so you might shop around
for a simple double-speed drive (from the list of supported drives)
to hang off your soundcard.

Bernie

Post by e.. » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: I'd like to read audio data off my audio CD in my Mitsumi FX100D 2x
: CDROM drive. I see no support in the mcd.c driver in
: /usr/src/linux/devices/block (no ioctl support for CDROMREADAUDIO). I
: My question is: 1) Does 2x Mitsumi CDROM drive support audio CD data
: read? 2) if yes, is there a newer Mitsumi driver out there that
: supports this function?  (probably in 1.3.* kernels?)

From the CDDA2WAV doc's:

known cdda uncapable drives
===========================
Mitsumi         FX001D(E)

How to find out whether your FOOBAR drive is capable of cdda reading
If feasible, contact your cdrom manufacturer. Supply firmware
release and version as well as manufacturing date on your request.
This is the most reliable way to determine.

If you have msloss cdrom drivers and a mscdex.exe, you could try
a german shareware program named 'dac' to find out. It needs raw mode
support from the cdrom and driver and will tell you what it found.
This is useful for nonscsi drives. Unfortunately there are german
docs only.

It is available via mailserver from

Put 'get cd/dac.arj' in the body.

1. Mitsumi FX001 CDROM - can read data CD and not audio CD

After installing slackware from O found out that it did not leave me with a
CD-ROM aware kernel.  I recompiled the kernel with CD-ROM and sound card
support
This is part of my boot-up message so I assume that my CD-ROM and sound card
have been properly configured.
..
snd2 <SoundBlaster 2.1> at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1
snd1 <Yamaha 2-OP FM> at 0x388 irq 0 drq 0
hda: QUANTUM LIGHTNING 730A, 696MB w/96KB Cache, LBA, CHS=708/32/63, MaxMult=8
hdb: FX001DE, ATAPI, CDROM drive
ide0: primary interface on irq 14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
..
Partition check:
  hda: hda1 hda2
hdb: media changed
VFS: Disk change detected on device 3/64
Max size:331758   Log zone size:2048
First datazone:76   Root inode number 155648
ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
..
Now I'm able to read data CD-ROMs but cannot play audio CDs using workbone or
workman.  I am not able to mount an audio CD after unmounting the data CD.  The
How-To says audio CDs are not to be mounted before playing them, but workbone
cannot find the audio CD, and the mount command does not work on the audio
CDs??

I'm a linux newbie so you gurus out there help me please.
There's probably something more I need to do to get the audio CDs to play but
the How-To I have is silent on this.
Thank you
JonesMB
Music - the licensed medium for saying in public things that are too silly
or too sacred to be uttered in ordinary speech

           http://www.ecgf.uakron.edu/~el6501/pagejmb.html

2. Q: /CDROM is gone suddenly?!

3. OOPs reading audio data from CD, ide-cd.

4. DOSEMU problem in compile..

5. X-CD-Roast reads data CDs but not audio under RH6.2

6. Can I use all 40 MB RAM on Olivetti P133E laptop?

7. Audio data from ASUS CD-S340 CD-ROM drive

8. reading audio data of cdrom

9. Read audio data directly with CD-ROM?

10. Reading CD Audio Data

11. Cannot read regular Data/Audio CD from DVD-ROM

12. reading audio data from Texel CD-ROM?