ripping problems

Post by Marc William » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:39:02

I've trying out some ripping software and having some serious problems.
Since the same problem exists with two different apps, I'm beginning to
wonder about my hardware.....

I've used both RipperX and Grip on the front with both running cdparanoia
for the ripper and LAME as the encoder.  I've tried RPMs as well as
compiling.  The same thing happens in all cases:

Whether just ripping or ripping/encoding, my machine will lock up tight
after one or two songs.  Tight, as in no mouse or keyboard control.
Tight, as in power-off remedy.  No errors showing on the screen or
terminal.  Just a frozen cursor.

I can sometimes get two songs in but it will always freeze before getting
through the third song.  I've tried several different CDs.  All my other
software (cdplay, xmms, etc) seems to play my CDs just fine.

Running Redhat 7.1 with a standard atapi CD player, Maxtor, I think.

Any ideas on the best way to start diagnosing this?  Thanks!

ripping problems

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:37:00

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:39:02 GMT, Marc Williams staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I've trying out some ripping software and having some serious
> problems.  Since the same problem exists with two different apps, I'm
> beginning to wonder about my hardware.....  I've used both RipperX and
> Grip on the front with both running cdparanoia for the ripper

Um, the front end doesn't matter here.  If they're both running
cdparanoia, then either there's a problem with cdparanoia or a problem
with the hardware.  Or a problem with Redhat 7.1's kernel's interaction
with your hardware.

Quote:> Whether just ripping or ripping/encoding, my machine will lock up tight
> after one or two songs.  No errors showing on the screen or terminal.
> Just a frozen cursor.

After the reboot/fsck, are there any error messages in the system logs?
That's /var/log/messages .  Do you have DMA turned on for your CD-ROM?
(hdparm /dev/hdX will tell you if that's the case) Turn it off if you
can, very few CD-ROMs are fast enough to require it and some can't
handle DMA.  Which kernel are you using?  Redhat 7.1's stock kernel is
old, and should be upgraded since there are lurking performance and
security problems with 2.4.2-redhatsomething.

Quote:> I've tried several different CDs.  All my other software (cdplay,
> xmms, etc) seems to play my CDs just fine.  Running Redhat 7.1 with a
> standard atapi CD player, Maxtor, I think.

> Any ideas on the best way to start diagnosing this?  Thanks!

You might want to try this:  Add the following line to /etc/syslog.conf
   kern.warn;*.err;authpriv.none    /dev/tty10
then "killall -HUP syslogd", then start the ripping process.  Right
after it starts, Ctrl-Alt-F10 to get to /dev/tty10 , where you will see
any kernel error messages immediately.  That might give you a clue about
whether the hardware is failing or whether it's a kernel bug.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. routed complaining about aliased interface (RIP problem)

Hi,

I have a dual homed pentium II machine running v2.2.5 RELEASE.
One interface is on our LAN which has gateways to the WAN while the
other is on a different logical subnet to increase the number of
device addresses within the building (our LAN is class C with nearly
254 devices). The main LAN interface is aliased four times for apache
to serve our intranet.
I have enabled IP forwarding but if I run routed to facilitate access
to the whole it produces errors on the console after every RIP
broadcast saying that the entry for fxp0 is duplicated for each of the
alias address. It also complains that there is no route to 224.0.0.1
and 224.0.0.2 (igmp enquiry ?) on each RIP broadcast.

Is there any way to make RIP ignore the aliasing? I am currently using
a default gateway to keep it quiet but this allows access to/from only
30 of the remote sites and I would have to add static routes to each
remote router on the remaining ones which would make their admin. a
nightmare.

TIA

Steve.

2. Bad MBR

3. cd rip problems -> wav = x megs of null

4. move filesystem?

5. Benq CDRW ripping problem

6. mounting a CDROM with cachefs

7. rip problem

8. modules again...

9. RIP ----> rpm <----- RIP

10. SMP - PCI problem? TV screen "ripping"

11. inetd problems ... RIP perfmeter

12. Problems with RIP

13. galette - problems ripping cd