SmartMedia card reader

Post by terr » Sat, 04 May 2002 04:23:30

I'm trying to mount the Uno SmartMedia card reader and am having no luck
as yet.

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IDE      Model: DVD-ROM 16X      Rev: 2.0
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: LITE-ON  Model: LTR-12101B       Rev: LS38
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: OEI-USB  Model: SmartMedia       Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

# cat /etc/fstab
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrw iso9660 ro,user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /mnt/memstick auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb1 /home ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda7 /home/terry/files ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat rw,defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb2 /usr ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Instructions say:
        ****************************
Add this device to the file /etc/fstab in the following syntax:

/dev/sdnf   mount-directory   auto   noauto,user 0 0

where n - the device index (entered in sequence for each device at
/proc/scsi/scsi file as a, b, c, d etc respectively)
f - the partition number if it is a hard disk formatted device.
Multi-partitioned devices will have multiple entries. For floppy
formatted media, this option is not used (i.e. first device in
/proc/scsi/scsi is entered as just /dev/sda).
        *******************************

I followed the instructions but still not able to mount the USB storage
device:

$ mount /mnt/memstick
mount: /dev/sdc1 is not a valid block device

Any clues?

--
Registered Linux User #188099
<><

SmartMedia card reader

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 04 May 2002 05:02:47

Quote:> I'm trying to mount the Uno SmartMedia card reader and am having no luck
> as yet.
[...]
> I followed the instructions but still not able to mount the USB storage
> device:

> $ mount /mnt/memstick
> mount: /dev/sdc1 is not a valid block device

> Any clues?

ls -l /dev/sdc1 and make sure you have the correct device designator.

        tony

SmartMedia card reader

Post by k.. » Sat, 04 May 2002 05:34:28

> I followed the instructions but still not able to mount the USB storage
> device:

> $ mount /mnt/memstick
> mount: /dev/sdc1 is not a valid block device

> Any clues?

Try specifying the fstype:
  mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/memstick

I ran into a similar problem when using a SanDISK CF reader.

SmartMedia card reader

Post by terr » Sat, 04 May 2002 09:16:16

I got it.  I just used /dev/sda1 and it worked.

BTW, I've been playing with it for a while now this evening and it's
fast and easy to use.  I think I'm gonna like it a lot.

--
Registered Linux User #188099
<><

1. How to Unmount and Remove UNO SmartMedia card reader

I got this unit because it was recommended as Linux friendly. I'm
running Red Hat 7.2, kernel 2.4.7-10. I've been using this USB card
reader for months but now I  wonder if I'm hot-swapping correctly.
When I plug the USB cable into the reader a red LED lights dimly. After
a few seconds the computer recognizes that it's there and the LED
momentarily
goes out, then lights up even brighter than before.  I then mount the
reader using the normal KDE method (right click on desktop icon and
choose mount). Then I can read/write to it.

The question comes when I unmount and remove the reader. Under Windoze
the remove utility somehow causes the LED to go out before I unplug the
reader from the USB cable. Using Linux, I unmount the reader but the LED

stays lit. I have been removing the reader with the LED lit and have had

occasional data corruption and had to reformat. This hasn't been a
serious problem but I do notice that the floppy drive and the hard drive

LEDs go wacky for a while when I unplug the reader after unmounting it.
Plus, I get quite a delay and lots of wierd SCSI related messages when I

power down the computer. I'm wondering if that is due to the reader
somehow not being fully disconnected by just unmounting it. Does
unmounting suffice to remove a unit from the USB bus or does something
else have to be done? (hope this is clear) I tried finding a USB FAQ but

nothing seems to cover this issue.

Thanks,
Mike

2. Mozzilla & Background Music

3. USB SmartMedia Card Reader

4. Multi-processor support

5. SmartMedia card reader

6. Attacked! BTWorm!

7. unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

8. Logitech Trackman...

9. Smartmedia card reader (PNY technolody)

10. USB Smartmedia card reader

11. Uno SmartMedia USB card reader: plugged in but SCSI device does not appear.

12. USB smartmedia readers

13. Which Smartmedia reader is compatible with Linux ?