Migrating lots of dissimilar PCs to a standard Linux configuration

Migrating lots of dissimilar PCs to a standard Linux configuration

Post by Edmun » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:36:57

I would like to move a bunch of users from Windows to Linux. There is
a standard set of applications and other settings that I'd like each
user to have. Each user currently has a Windows box that is pretty
much unique in terms of hardware.

Is there an easy way to automate the installation and configuration of
a Linux desktop to each machine? Trying to install and configure each
machine individually is a bit of a show stopper.

I'm a bit of a Debian fanatic, so I'd like to use Debian (because of
the ease of upgrading, familiarity with its quirks, etc.), but I'm
willing to use any other distribution so long as there is some way to
keep it updated with the same level of effort as "apt-get upgrade".

Can anybody who has gone through a similar process give me any advice?

Thanks!

...Edmund.

... might check on this: www.partimage.org

Migrating lots of dissimilar PCs to a standard Linux configuration

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:13:14

Quote:> Is there an easy way to automate the installation and configuration of
> a Linux desktop to each machine? Trying to install and configure each
> machine individually is a bit of a show stopper.

Wouldn't install the systems at all, try:

www.ltsp.org

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Migrating lots of dissimilar PCs to a standard Linux configuration

Post by Gerhard W. Grube » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:56:19

Quote:>I would like to move a bunch of users from Windows to Linux. There is
>a standard set of applications and other settings that I'd like each
>user to have. Each user currently has a Windows box that is pretty
>much unique in terms of hardware.

That shouldn't be much of a problem. If you compile a kernel with pretty much
everything in it as a module the hardware is no problem at all. I think that
many distributions do this in order to avoid getting problems with the
hardware setup. Once the hardware is established everything else should be
pretty easy. Only X might be a bit of a problem if you have many different gfx
cards because of the individual drivers.

--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

1. LCSDNYR 2001 -> standards, standards, standards

[snip - a call for standardisation]

I completely agree, but I don't think Linux is going the wrong way (yet).

As always, tarballs (./configure, make, su -c 'make install') stay (oh yes
they will). Package-like installing (cfr deb, rpm, jbl, ...) goes the
right way: easy, user-friendly and without any hassle. I don't think it's
necessary to evolve to one package. Each type of packaging has it
advantages and disadvantages. It's a choice, a mindgame if you will. Some
people like the deb-packages since they are extremely easy to install.
Some others want rpm, since the availability of those files is enormous.
Some people stay with the tarballs.

I don't think Linux is going the wrong way.

With packages without any hassle. With tarballs you should look at the
Makefile before 'make install'-ing and search for 'make uninstall'. If
that's available (and correctly programmed), there isn't any other hassle.

This could be one point of discussion (tarballs - uninstalling software),
but I don't know enough about tarballs (I only use them if I can't find
any rpm-files for it) so I'd better shut up :-/

Again, with packages no troubles. Tarballs are also without any hassle,
since upgrading is very simpel. Configuration-files stay (thus not the way
M$ handled things, i.e. registry), binaries get upgraded, libraries are
... how do they say it... renewed? I mean, a newer version of library
doesn't overwrite things (f.i. libsmpg-2.0-3.so.2), only has a greater
version-number (f.i. libsmpg-2.1-1.so.2). And ldconfig makes sure programs
use the right library...

/etc/*.conf, $HOME/.*rc, ... I think Linux (and most unix-like OS'ses) are
doing a great job on that. They are easy to back-up, easy to modify
(manually AND with scripts/tools), ...

--
 SwifT

2. How to know the connection of a socket is closed ??????

3. Migrating Solstice configurations

4. QWK READER

5. To migrate or not to migrate

6. newbie: installation problem

7. ===> XF86Config FTP Archive full of lots of configurations!!!

8. Setting up a "generic" print queue: How to?

9. Configuring Linux tools: i586-pc-linux-gnu or i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 ?????

10. Solaris 2.6 X86 spends a lot of time recognizing the configuration

11. 2 VideoCards in my PC and lots of troubles !!!

12. Lots o lots o questions!!

13. Mise en place d'un PC sous LINUX avec configuration Bi-écran