Emacs problems

Post by Matt Caswel » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I'm running RH 5.2 with KDE. It's a fresh install, and I haven't done
anything wierd as far as I know!

My problem is with emacs. When I fire it up under X it doesn't display
properly. The text starts *underneath* the scroll bar on the left hand
side of the window. I am able to type properly, but the characters
appear on the screen with a really wide spacing between each character
(pressing C-L after typing corrects this problem - but its a real pain).
If I page up or page down then the window becomes corrupted, with
portions of my document all of the place (again I have to press C-L).
Similarly the mini-buffer is doing wierd things.

I can't think what the problem could be. I've tried playing around with
some of the settings in my .Xdefaults, but I don't know what to change.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Matt

Emacs problems

Post by Frans Gumpu Slothoube » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: Hi

: I'm running RH 5.2 with KDE. It's a fresh install, and I haven't done
: anything wierd as far as I know!

: My problem is with emacs. When I fire it up under X it doesn't display
: properly. The text starts *underneath* the scroll bar on the left hand
[snip]
: I can't think what the problem could be. I've tried playing around with
: some of the settings in my .Xdefaults, but I don't know what to change.

: Any suggestions?

What kind of font do you use? A proportional or a non-proportional?
If you use proportional it might be that emacs has a problem with
that.
If so, add
emacs*font: fixed
to your .Xdefaults.

Have fun,
Frans

\___/\ GalaxyNG Game Master.  http://gumpu.student.utwente.nl/~galaxyng
/   \/
Implementation: The fruitless struggle by the talented and underpaid to
fulfill promises made by the rich and ignorant.

Emacs problems

Post by Michael Pow » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Emacs problems

Post by Matt Caswel » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> : Hi

> : I'm running RH 5.2 with KDE. It's a fresh install, and I haven't done
> : anything wierd as far as I know!

> : My problem is with emacs. When I fire it up under X it doesn't display
> : properly. The text starts *underneath* the scroll bar on the left hand
> [snip]
> : I can't think what the problem could be. I've tried playing around with
> : some of the settings in my .Xdefaults, but I don't know what to change.

> : Any suggestions?

> What kind of font do you use? A proportional or a non-proportional?
> If you use proportional it might be that emacs has a problem with
> that.
> If so, add
> emacs*font: fixed
> to your .Xdefaults.

Thanks for the suggestion....

I checked my .Xdefaults and I already have the line:

emacs*font: fixed

Having said that I like the theory that its down to proportional fonts. I
tried changing to some other fonts by editing .Xdefaults. It didn't actually
seem to change the font at all....can't think what I'm doing wrong....do I
need to restart my X server every time I change .Xdefaults, or is it enough
just to restart emacs (which is what I have been doing)?

Matt

Emacs problems

Post by Matt Caswel » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > : Hi

> > : I'm running RH 5.2 with KDE. It's a fresh install, and I haven't done
> > : anything wierd as far as I know!

> > : My problem is with emacs. When I fire it up under X it doesn't display
> > : properly. The text starts *underneath* the scroll bar on the left hand
> > [snip]
> > : I can't think what the problem could be. I've tried playing around with
> > : some of the settings in my .Xdefaults, but I don't know what to change.

> > : Any suggestions?

> > What kind of font do you use? A proportional or a non-proportional?
> > If you use proportional it might be that emacs has a problem with
> > that.
> > If so, add
> > emacs*font: fixed
> > to your .Xdefaults.

> Thanks for the suggestion....

> I checked my .Xdefaults and I already have the line:

> emacs*font: fixed

> Having said that I like the theory that its down to proportional fonts. I
> tried changing to some other fonts by editing .Xdefaults. It didn't actually
> seem to change the font at all....can't think what I'm doing wrong....do I
> need to restart my X server every time I change .Xdefaults, or is it enough
> just to restart emacs (which is what I have been doing)?

> Matt

The problem is definately due to proportional fonts. Once emacs has loaded I am
able to change the font manually to a fixed width font. Everything then works as
it should. My problem now though is that emacs is ignoring my .Xdefaults file.
No matter what I put in there it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have to
change the font every time emacs loads up. Why might that be?

Matt

Emacs problems

Post by Frans Gumpu Slothoube » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: The problem is definately due to proportional fonts. Once emacs has loaded I am
: able to change the font manually to a fixed width font. Everything then works as
: it should. My problem now though is that emacs is ignoring my .Xdefaults file.
: No matter what I put in there it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have to
: change the font every time emacs loads up. Why might that be?

Emacs also read a .emacs file.  It might be the the font setting
is over-written there.    Try renaming the .emacs file and see
what happens....

If it is not in there you might want to put the command you use
to change your font in the .emacs file :)

Have fun,
Frans.

\___/\ GalaxyNG Game Master.  http://gumpu.student.utwente.nl/~galaxyng
/   \/
Implementation: The fruitless struggle by the talented and underpaid to
fulfill promises made by the rich and ignorant.

Emacs problems

Post by Michael Pow » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

1. emac problem

I am using Redhat 6.1.I  seem to have a simple problem with my emac
editors. I don't see the menubar . I mean its there but it is covered
by some solid blocks .When I click the menu it shows same blocks for
different blocks .
KIndly suggest how to fix the problem and also tell whick is the best
ekitor to use in linux.
 Thanks for your time.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. 1 GB HD dos and Linux mount

3. solaris 9 12/02's sfw/emacs -- problems, anyone?

4. Newbie chmod question

5. Emacs-Problems

6. SUMMARY - HELP! The bells emacs is sending are freaking out my terminal!

7. EMACS Problem...Help!

8. why somebody needs .rhosts

9. Emacs problem w/ SLS 1.02

10. emacs problem after MkLinux upgrade