Help: "No space left on device"

Post by Matt Eckhau » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi:

I have started getting the message "No space left on device" from any
command that tries to create a new file - UNLESS it is executed as root.
As root, I can create as many files as I like. (Of course, the disk is
not even close to full). There is no problem with appending to existing
files, just creating new ones.

Any suggestions?

Help: "No space left on device"

Post by Uwe Bonn » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: Hi:
:
: I have started getting the message "No space left on device" from any
: command that tries to create a new file - UNLESS it is executed as root.
: As root, I can create as many files as I like. (Of course, the disk is
: not even close to full). There is no problem with appending to existing
: files, just creating new ones.
:
: Any suggestions?

The disk _is_ full. the space you see as root is for root to recover from a
full disk.

Help: "No space left on device"

Post by Perry Donh » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

    Uwe> started getting the message "No space left on device" from
    Uwe> any : command that tries to create a new file - UNLESS it is
    Uwe> executed as root.  : As root, I can create as many files as I
    Uwe> like. (Of course, the disk is : not even close to
    Uwe> full). There is no problem with appending to existing :
    Uwe> files, just creating new ones.  : : Any suggestions?

    Uwe> The disk _is_ full. the space you see as root is for root to
    Uwe> recover from a full disk.  -- Uwe Bonnes

Doesn't the filesystem give the same mesage if you run out of inodes?
Do a 'df -i' and see if they've been exhausted.

Not that I know how to recover from that condition, but at least you'd
know the real problem...

Perry

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.en-garde.com/kidpub

Help: "No space left on device"

Post by Al Longye » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have started getting the message "No space left on device" from any
>command that tries to create a new file - UNLESS it is executed as root.
>As root, I can create as many files as I like. (Of course, the disk is
>not even close to full). There is no problem with appending to existing
>files, just creating new ones.
>Any suggestions?

- Get a bigger drive.
- Delete some unused stuff.
- Compress some files which you don't need expanded.

You have just run out of space for a non-super user. It is about as serious
of a warning that your disk is filling up as you will get. The next 'warning'
will be "no space left on device" for even root access.

The EXT2 file system reserves some amount of space for use by the root
user. That is so that the root user may signon to the system and clean up the
junk left by the non-root users. It would be disastrous if even the root
user could not signon to the system because the disk was full.

In short, either get a bigger disk or get rid of some files which you don't
need. It will be up to you to decide what you don't need.

--

The above opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Management
of System Integrators nor any of its subsidiaries.

Help: "No space left on device"

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>: Hi:
>:
>: I have started getting the message "No space left on device" from any
>: command that tries to create a new file - UNLESS it is executed as root.
>: As root, I can create as many files as I like. (Of course, the disk is
>: not even close to full). There is no problem with appending to existing
>: files, just creating new ones.
>:
>: Any suggestions?

>The disk _is_ full. the space you see as root is for root to recover from a
>full disk.

Or, more likely, the inode table is full (try "df -i").

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |