_setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

_setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

Post by Hongsen Ch » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 14:06:04

I have tried to install linux/slackware on my 486DX33 with
4M memory. .
Everything goes well but I am always asked
for password when I reboot after installation.
I see the following message:

_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
(several lines of the same message)

Welcome to Linux 0.99.15.
(none) login:

I use bare and colrlite as boot and root disks.
I have made a 100M partition /dev/hda2 for filesystem
and a 10M swap partition.
There are no error or warning message during the installations.
I have also tried the procedure described in LOWMEM.TXT.

Can anybody help me ?  p

Thank you in advance.

H.Chen

Post by padd » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 19:35:22

: I have tried to install linux/slackware on my 486DX33 with
: 4M memory. .
: Everything goes well but I am always asked
: for password when I reboot after installation.
: I see the following message:

: _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
: (several lines of the same message)

: Welcome to Linux 0.99.15.
: (none) login:

: I use bare and colrlite as boot and root disks.
: I have made a 100M partition /dev/hda2 for filesystem
: and a 10M swap partition.
: There are no error or warning message during the installations.
: I have also tried the procedure described in LOWMEM.TXT.

: Can anybody help me ?  p

: Thank you in advance.

: H.Chen

Try :
cd /etc
touch utmp

all as root.

-Pad

--

Jonathan O'Connor
Senior Systems Administrator

_setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

Post by Darin Johns » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 05:57:09

Quote:> _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
> (several lines of the same message)

I used to get this message, but not when booting, just when
logging in (and rlogin didn't give the message).

Basically, some software uses /etc/utmp and some use /var/adm/utmp.
One of those is missing.  I just have one be a symbolic link to the
other (beware the rc.S wipes out /etc/utmp under slackware).

Does anyone know the "correct" setup for these?
--
Darin Johnson

       The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the
       Frobozz Magic Hacking Company, or any other Frobozz affiliates.

Post by Daniel Barl » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 20:53:13

Quote:>> _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory
>> (several lines of the same message)

>Basically, some software uses /etc/utmp and some use /var/adm/utmp.
>One of those is missing.  I just have one be a symbolic link to the
>other (beware the rc.S wipes out /etc/utmp under slackware).

>Does anyone know the "correct" setup for these?

``Correct'' is /var/adm/utmp, according to the FSSTND (everyone should
have a copy of the FSSTND... try sunsite in /pub/Linux/docs/standards
or similar).  The change seems to be towards putting changing data
(pids, utmp, wtmp etc) in /var/something instead of in /etc.  That's
my guess for the rationale, anyway

Daniel
--

``Our single posting of 6,000 was a drop in a huge bucket''
                                -- Canter & Siegel, to the Tennessee Bar

1. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

I have a Linux 1.2.8 server at work that has developed this problem after
a power outage this week. The power was out for a prolonged period of time and
the UPS ran out of juice. When the machine came back up online, it produces the
error message "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory" when
you try to do a "w" or when you open an xterm in openwindows. The /var/adm/utmp
file is still there as is its symbolic link from /etc/utmp -> /var/adm/utmp. I
had one other machine do this once before, but I reinstalled Linux before I had
a chance to track down the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill deWindt
Systems Administrator
Hampden-Sydney College in VA

2. Dialing up a Windows PPP server

3. _setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

4. Slow telnet/ftp/ssh

5. _setutent: Cant'open utmp file:No such file or directory

6. Configuring DHCP Client on Solaris 7

7. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

8. Max files..

9. "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory"??

10. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory - Help!

11. _setutent: Can't open utmp: No such file or directory

12. _STILL_ get "_setutent: Can't open utmp file.."

13. Error: _setutent: Can't open utmp file: ... ???