Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:54:07

Using a RedHat 6.x distro, I have a lot of things updated:

kernel 2.2.19 with reiserfs
glibc 2.1.3
binutils 2.9.5
cpp 2.95
gcc 2.95
gcc-c++ 2.95
qt 2.3
Xfree 4.0.3
kde 2.1

As you can see above, I have upgraded gcc from 2.9.1 ( that came with
egcs ) to gcc 2.95 ( from libc6 contrib RPM ) due to a compiler bug that
I encounered compiling qt 2.3 with "march=i686".

However, I wanted to upgrade from kde 2.1 to kde 2.1.1. Since there are
no RPMs for RedHat6.x of kde 2.1.1, I downloaded the SRPMS and try to
build the RPMs and install them. Building kdesupport went okay ( with
"rpm -bb --target=i686 kdesupport-2.1.spec" ). Now I am trying to build
kdedoc with "rpm -bb --target=i686 kdedoc-2.1.1.spec". However, the
build requires perl 5.6.0, which in turn requires glibc 2.2.

With the exception of installing a new distro, I have not done a major
glibc upgrade. So my questions are:

1) Is it safe? Will the existing apps that were compiled, static or
shared, with glibc 2.1 still work with glibc 2.2? The only information I
can find about this is on the link below:

        http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/glibc-FAQ.html#2.3

... but it seems that the document is about a move from libc5  to libc6.
Is there a more updated version of this doc specifically for a move from
glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2?

2) Has anyone with a RedHat 6.x distro done this, using the glibc-2.2
RPMS from rawhide?

Any help appreciated,

John
--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:

Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:11:49

One thing to mention is that the gcc-2.95 and gcc-c++-2.95 ( and
gcc-java-2.95 ) packages where installed from using contrib RPMS for
libc6. Therefore, the binaries of gcc and g++ ( both 2.95 ) that I
currently have work for glibc-2.1.3 ( since they were distributed under
the libc6 directory from redhat's contrib site instead of the glibc22
directory ).

Quote:

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F47D34

Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Post by Harlan Grov » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 06:22:16

Quote:>However, I wanted to upgrade from kde 2.1 to kde 2.1.1. Since there are
>no RPMs for RedHat6.x of kde 2.1.1, I downloaded the SRPMS and try to

Oh ye of little web searching . . . check out

http://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/2.1.1/distribution/...
Hat/6.x/i386/

Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:51:07

These RPMs ( 16 April ) only appeared after my post ( and only appeared
on the local mirror today ), and the RPMs were created by KDE, not
RedHat.

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F47D34

Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Post by Harlan Grov » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:19:21

Quote:>These RPMs ( 16 April ) only appeared after my post ( and only appeared
>on the local mirror today ), and the RPMs were created by KDE, not
>RedHat.

OK. As for the dates, I didn't check them. When anything new is released,
you may have to wait a few days/weeks for RH6.x RPMs to appear - don't
expect the same availability as for RH7.x - be patient.

As for KDE being the packager rather than Red Hat, don't hold your breath
waiting for Red Hat to package updates for anything new (as opposed to
fixed) for old RH versions. The KDE team is more than capable of packaging
KDE so it works for RH6.x, so I don't see the point of your last comment.

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:46:51

> OK. As for the dates, I didn't check them. When anything new is released,
> you may have to wait a few days/weeks for RH6.x RPMs to appear - don't
> expect the same availability as for RH7.x - be patient.

The README file on the FTP sites said that RedHat will NOT provide RPMs
for KDE 2.1.1, only SRPMs.

Quote:

> As for KDE being the packager rather than Red Hat, don't hold your breath
> waiting for Red Hat to package updates for anything new (as opposed to
> fixed) for old RH versions. The KDE team is more than capable of packaging
> KDE so it works for RH6.x, so I don't see the point of your last comment.

The last comment was not meant against KDE. It was against RH. I mean,
someone else have to do the packaging of RPMs for them.
Anyway, I should have expected that since they are targetting the server
market.

As for me, I have resorted to building the RPMs myself from SRPMs. At
least it is optimized for my PC.

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F47D34

1. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

[...]

2. Sound Blaster Card Conflicting with NIC

3. glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2

4. CDROM / CMD640 EIDE controller / etc

5. Can primary glibc 2.1.x coexist with non-primary glibc 2.2.x WRT shared binaries?

6. Re-installing fileutils package

7. How to upgrade glibc 2.1 to 2.2

8. Where can I find the sources of fdisk (latest, 0.93?)

9. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2?

10. Trouble upgrading from glibc-2.1.2 to glibc-2.2.2 (rpm failed dependencies)

11. Upgrading glibc 2.1 -> 2.2

12. glibc 2.0 or glibc 2.1

13. glibc 2.1/glibc 1.99