Interface with UPS through Parallel port??

Interface with UPS through Parallel port??

Post by Luke » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have this great little linux box- it's this *y little Celeron system
based on the i810 chipset.  Runs linux GREAT.  Today, I went to hook it up
to my UPS, and realized that it didn't have any serial ports.  Great, huh?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had, or knows how to, wire up a UPS to a
parallel port.  It shouldn't be that hard- the port on the UPS just has a
few optoisolators in there that don't care too much about voltage.  I just
don't have time to sit here with a logic probe and figure it all out, and
was hoping that someone had already done it for me....  :)

I've also heard some talk about UPS monitoring via a game port- anyone
heard anymore on that?

Thanks
-Luke

Post by Bob Hau » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had, or knows how to, wire up a UPS to a
>parallel port.  It shouldn't be that hard- the port on the UPS just has a
>few optoisolators in there that don't care too much about voltage.

I have a ups monitor thing on my ftp site that you should be able to
modify to do this.  It currently uses the control lines on the serial
port but all that stuff is fairly well modularized.

The docs also have wiring diagrams for a couple of common UPS's.

ftp://ftp.wasatch.com/pub/users/bobh/Linux/upsd*

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Raving Lunatic