Netscape/Telnet backspace problems with RedHat 3.0.3

Netscape/Telnet backspace problems with RedHat 3.0.3

Post by Seth Oestreich » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone had similar problems with Netscape not being able to backspace
under RedHat 3.0.3 (Running Netscape 3.01).

Also, if I telnet somewhere and run vi, I'll get ^? when trying to
backspace.

I set up the .Xmodmap to fix the problem, but it doesn't see to help.

If anyone has fixed this problem, please let me know!

Thanks!

Seth

Netscape/Telnet backspace problems with RedHat 3.0.3

Post by Ernest Shaffe » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

As far as telnet goes you can telnet into a site and then type stty erase
^? [enter]
This will map the backspace key to the erase.

I have the same problem with Netscape 3.01 on Slackware 96 Kernel 2.0.13.
Still haven't figured this one out yet.

Quote:> Has anyone had similar problems with Netscape not being able to backspace

Post by Robert Lync » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> As far as telnet goes you can telnet into a site and then type stty erase
> ^? [enter]
> This will map the backspace key to the erase.

> I have the same problem with Netscape 3.01 on Slackware 96 Kernel 2.0.13.
> Still haven't figured this one out yet.

The original poster said his .Xmodmap fix didn't work....  But this is
all I use and it's OK, has fixed Netscape backspace problem for a long
time (and I had RH 3.0.3 and now have 4.0):
--------------

keycode 22 = BackSpace
---------------
FWIW.

Bob L.
--

Netscape/Telnet backspace problems with RedHat 3.0.3

Post by Ian Hutchinso » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

There is a simple fix for netscape that you can put (e.g.) in your
.Xdefaults file:

Netscape*editingTranslations: #override\n\
    ~Meta ~Alt        <Key>osfDelete:   delete-previous-character() \n

The netscape.ad file recommends against this type of thing, but it works
fine.

Another couple of translations that help with some other motif
applications:

*XmText.translations : #override \n<Key>osfDelete:delete-previous-character()\n
*XmTextField.translations : #override \n<Key>osfDelete:delete-previous-character()\n

Don't you wish there were a solution for it all? There isn't though,
because some systems (e.g. VMS) interpret backspace to mean go to the
beginning of the line. So if you universally change to backspace you will
go crazy.

        Ian Hutchinson, Plasma Fusion Center, MIT.
        http://cmod.pfc.mit.edu/~hutch/home.html

> I have the same problem with Netscape 3.01 on Slackware 96 Kernel 2.0.13.
> Still haven't figured this one out yet.

> > Has anyone had similar problems with Netscape not being able to backspace
> > under RedHat 3.0.3 (Running Netscape 3.01).

1. Redhat/Netscape Backspace Key Problem

When using Netscape under Redhat 4.0 my backspace key does not
function correctly.  It deletes characters from in *front* of the
cursor (just like the delete key - hey, I already have one of those!)
instead of in back of the cursor as it should.  This is EXTREMELY
annoying!  I would appreciate any help that can be given in this
matter.  This does not occur in my Slackware (ver 3.1) install so I
have not dealt with this problem before.  Thanks again.
                                                       Kurt
"If you understand it, it's obsolete."

http://www.wolfe.net/~snout/

2. Web-Based MIS CGI Script Package

3. Redhat/Netscape Backspace Problem

4. Possible Bug Solaris 2.7x86 allocating stream resources.

5. Redhat/Netscape Backspace Key Problem

6. Terminal File Manager

7. Q: how to prevent globbing of command line args

8. telnet to linux Backspace work; rsh xterm Backspace don't work

9. Netscape 2.0 - Keysyms problem (backspace and delete key problems)

10. Telnet and Backspace Problem

11. Telnet = Problem with backspace,delete,end,home ...