OT: userdel bug and my unemployment claim

OT: userdel bug and my unemployment claim

Post by George M Jempt » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:24:56

Hello all:

My *nix skills are entirely self-taught, my employer provided no training,
and their critical software crashed as a result of a command I issued on
their HP-UX box.  I have tried to replicate the crash on RedHat Linux 7.2 to
no avail.

My / file system filled up after adding a user and transferring files into
that account.  So to free up space I tried userdel with the remove flag for
that user account, figuring I'd need to move that account somewhere else.

Unfortunately, HP-UX's implementation of userdel creates copies of
/etc/group and /etc/passwd, and then after working with the copies,
overwrites the original.  /etc however, was under the / filesystem, so with
insufficient room for the copies they were created as 0 byte files, with
which the original /etc/group and /etc/passwd were overwritten.

As mentioned I tried to replicate this on Linux but apparently it's
implementation of userdel is more predictable than HP-UX's.  The day after
this unfortunate incident, my supervisor prohibited me from filing a bug
with HP, and the software project manager accused me of acting recklessly.

The next day I was out of a job.  Now my employers are appealing the initial
unemployment finding in my favor (that I lost my position through no fault
of my own).

I know this is unconventional, but I was wondering if Linux experts would
like to weigh in on this?  I have until next Wednesday to present these, and
other documents, to the unemployment board.

Thanks in advance for everybody's consideration!

1. Roy Keane seen entering the unemployment benefit office claiming benefit!

Well it seems he isnt content with earning 70,000 a week
He claims benefit too!
A friend of mine saw him entering there and followed him in
He uses a false id of Paddy Mclacherty and received 100 quid a
fortnight!
Always knew he was a thiefing irish gypsy bastard!

2. what is the command to check NIC/ethernet speed for solaris

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. disk partition: help

5. Old OT and not so OT news

6. Pentiums

7. OT: New Microsoft Bug Problems Blamed On Globalization

8. Upgrading libc

9. OT Security Question OT

10. Userdel not parsing /etc/group - ?

11. useradd, userdel, usermod, where are they?

12. userdel SLOW!

13. Why userdel can be used