pentium gcc compile problems

Post by Tom Mill » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to compile the pentium-2.5.8p gcc compiler I downloaded from
tsx-11.mit.edu.  I am having a few problems I don't understand, and
wonder if someone could shed some light on them.  I run a Pentium 100 PCI
bus
with 16 MB Ram, Slackware distribution of Linux with gcc 2.5.8.

I unpacked the tar file in /usr/src so it ended up in a directory
/usr/src/gcc-2.5.8p.  I ran configure with options --host=i486-linux
--target=pentium-linux.  I do have to cross compile first, correct ?  I
edit Makefile to define 'CC=/usr/bin/cc' and 'AR=/usr/bin/ar' to make
sure the existing compiler is used.  I killed the '-O' flag, but it still
has the same errors:

1: Probably not important - "combine.c:12973 Warning
'try_forwards_replace' was defined implicitly 'external' and later
'static'.

2: This one kills the compilation: "mv libgcc1.a: No such file or
directory.  You must find a way to make libgcc1.a".  Sure enough, there
is no 'libgcc1.a' on my machine.  There is a 'libgcc.1 and libgcc.c' in
the source for the new compiler.  Do I need to download other libraries
?  I hope not, It is taking about 50 MByte now for this process.

I would appreciate any guidance.

*                    Tom Miller                    *
*                    Berea, OH                    *

1. GCC-i2.6.3 compiling (gcc with pentium optimiz's) PLEASE HELP US!!

:>Has anyone managed to build GCC-i2.6.3 ?
:>
:>I've been playing around with it the last few days but I haven't gotten
:>it to work well.
:>
:>I'm running Linux 1.2.5 and I've got gcc-2.6.3, and I've gotten the
:>pentium version to compile, but it won't compile the kernel (or itself)
:>without ending on "internal compiler error"
:>
:>I unpacked it into a subdirectory under root, and ran configure. I
:>compiled it (make -- so it builds everything), and did stage2 and even
:>once a stage3 compile (with -O2 -mpentium options), and it creates xgcc.
:>
:>However, the resulting compiler doesn't work very well -- as I said, it
:>stops with the error I described.  (yes, cmp and bison are installed).
:>
:>---
:>
:>More to the point, is it worth it?   Is anyone here running a pentium
:>optimized kernel (or applications)?  If so, are they visibly faster
:>and are they stable?
:>
:>It's been said that the kernel won't compile with -O4 -mpentium, but
:>will -O3 work?
:>
:>Mark Orr

:>

Yes! I am having the *exact* same problem and I cannot for the life of me
figure out how to compile this new damn compiler.

If any compiler gurus out there know what the heck Mark and I are doing
wrong when compiling this i2.6.3 I would really appreciate it if you would
post the answers here as I think most of us pentium owners would be
interested in moving up to gcc-i2.6.3. (NOTICE: *i*2.6.3 it is *not* the
same compiler that comes with slackware 2.2.0 as I have gotten a lot of
people responding to my previous post on the subject saying to just get
that).

I have a pentium 100 and I would just love to go on an i2.6.3 compiling
binge and recompile everything I have to run faster :-)

Thanks for you help anybody and sorry I don't have an answer for you
Mark... we're in the same boat with no oars... or a compiler.

BTW shouldn't the i2.6.3 compiler Makefile use "gcc" to make the new stuff
instead of "cc"? What's the difference between the two when cc is really
just a link to gcc and why won't "gcc" make the new compiler?? (it just
dies on _multi in libgcc.a or something like that)?

- Jeff Wiegley

2. Does TIOCGPPSEV work in Solaris7 (sparc or Intel)???

3. Problem compiling GCC 2.5.8 Pentium version

4. Microsoft Removal 101, newsFACTOR.com

5. GCC for the Pentium. Problem Compiling.

6. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

7. Can't compile pentium optimized gcc - 2nd Post

8. LinNeighborhood version 0.4.0 released

9. GCC-i2.6.3 (gcc with pentium optimizations)

10. Pentium GCC problems

11. gcc compiling problem: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

12. Compiling gcc 2.7.2.1 with gcc 3.2 on redhat 8.0

13. Pentium Kernel compile problems with PGCC 2.95.3