Doom and linux - brightness

Post by Bill McCart » Sun, 18 Sep 1994 08:34:59

Hiya:

I know the Doom stuff is sort of cluttering up the bandwidth, but I just
have to ask about this. Doom runs fine on my dx2-50 w/ 1.1 and 16meg ram
at -2 on the pixel enhance: well a bit slow. But The window of the game is
darker than it should be. The clip that plays when you exec Doom and before
you make your game selection is fine, but when I actually start playing, the
screen is darker than it should be. I only have a CLGD5424 onmboard accel
w/ 512k video, so that might be the culprit. Also tried running the game
with a stripped down .xinitrc file - nothing running but a console xterm and
nothing in the root window. If I use the cheat mode to enhance the lighting,
it's fine. Any thoughts? TIA.

Bill McCarthy

"Isn't it pretty to think so."
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT\__Jake Barnes___________________________
LinuX + i486dx2/66
usual disclaimer

Doom and linux - brightness

Post by Mark Weav » Sun, 18 Sep 1994 14:40:07

>I know the Doom stuff is sort of cluttering up the bandwidth, but I just
>have to ask about this. Doom runs fine on my dx2-50 w/ 1.1 and 16meg ram
>at -2 on the pixel enhance: well a bit slow. But The window of the game is
>darker than it should be. The clip that plays when you exec Doom and before
>you make your game selection is fine, but when I actually start playing, the
>screen is darker than it should be. I only have a CLGD5424 onmboard accel
>w/ 512k video, so that might be the culprit. Also tried running the game
>with a stripped down .xinitrc file - nothing running but a console xterm and
>nothing in the root window. If I use the cheat mode to enhance the lighting,
>it's fine. Any thoughts? TIA.

Typing F11 will set the gamma correction, which effectively brightens
the screen.  There are several gamma correction levels that is rotates
through.

        Mark

Doom and linux - brightness

Post by Mike Harv » Sun, 18 Sep 1994 14:29:31

>Hiya:
>I know the Doom stuff is sort of cluttering up the bandwidth, but I just
>have to ask about this. Doom runs fine on my dx2-50 w/ 1.1 and 16meg ram
>at -2 on the pixel enhance: well a bit slow. But The window of the game is

Mine's only fast enough if I kill everything else. (same cfg. except DX2/66)

Quote:>with a stripped down .xinitrc file - nothing running but a console xterm and
>nothing in the root window. If I use the cheat mode to enhance the lighting,
>it's fine. Any thoughts? TIA.

Sure.  Use the cheat mode.  :-)  I do.  You're only playing for fun anyway,
right?  I don't turn it all the way up, because it detracts from my
enjoyment.  However, turning it up enough so that I don't get a headache
squinting at the screen is not cheating.

>Bill McCarthy

Mike

--

Doom and linux - brightness

Post by Michael K. Johns » Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:46:29

   I know the Doom stuff is sort of cluttering up the bandwidth, but I just
   have to ask about this. Doom runs fine on my dx2-50 w/ 1.1 and 16meg ram
   at -2 on the pixel enhance: well a bit slow. But The window of the game is
   darker than it should be. The clip that plays when you exec Doom and before

Press F11 a few times to cycle through the gamma corrections.  It's
in the README file, but don't feel bad; I read it twice or thrice
before noticing it.

michaelkjohnson

Doom and linux - brightness

Post by Cave Ne » Tue, 20 Sep 1994 12:12:22

Quote:>Press F11 a few times to cycle through the gamma corrections.  It's
>in the README file, but don't feel bad; I read it twice or thrice
>before noticing it.

Of course, that only works if you *have* an F11 key.  The rest of us
(admittedly few) must edit the gamma line in ~/.doomrc to something
bigger than 0.

Greg Roelofs

Doom and linux - brightness

Post by Andrew Robert Ellswor » Thu, 22 Sep 1994 01:57:07

Quote:>at -2 on the pixel enhance: well a bit slow. But The window of the game is
>darker than it should be. The clip that plays when you exec Doom and before
>you make your game selection is fine, but when I actually start playing, the
>screen is darker than it should be. I only have a CLGD5424 onmboard accel

In DOOM, press F11.  This cycles through 4 levels of gamma correction, and will
almost certainly solve your problem.

Andy Ellsworth

(INSERT CREATIVE FOOTER HERE)

1. doom doom doom...site

try out this linux mirror site 2.6gigs full slackware apps.
doom, doom2, slackware, demos, and more!!!

ftp access only, anon logon! T1 connect!  4-66 machine!

ftp:            fishbowl.interaccess.com

goldfish sysop...

--

Darkness at Sethanon BBS! 708-501-3004 28.8k 2.5gig!
Goldfish SySop!

2. Book review, or, how not to appear to be a newbie

3. XFree86 4.0, Voodoo2 and Glide problem

4. DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

5. XFree86 4.1 problem: unresolved symbols

6. Ultimate Linux Doom and Doom II

7. cpio freeze my system

8. Linux Doom engine with Doom II wad goes into DeathMatch

9. using reginsted DOOM & DOOM II wads w/ Linux

10. Doom WAD for linux doom

11. DOOM f/Linux <=> DOOM f/DOS

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.