trouble ppp 2.3.11 & Kernel 2.2.16

Post by Rao Garimell » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:14:56

Hi

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this message. If not please
indicate where it would be appropriate to post it.

I am having problems using pppd (ppp 2.3.11 [and ppp 2.4.0]) with linux
kernel 2.2.16 (both from the slackware 7.1 distribution.).

When I try to fire up a ppp connection (using the script ppp-go generated by
the pppsetup program), pppd dies and the file /var/log/syslog has a message
from the "chat" program saying that "Can't get terminal parameters -
Input/output error".

I tried to do it manually using minicom and manual starting of pppd. I
started minicom and dialed into my ISP which initialized PPP. Then I quit
_without_ resetting minicom and started pppd with the command "pppd -detach
/dev/ttyS0 38400 &". I get the following error:

ioctl(SIOCSIFMTU): No such device 19
tcflush failed: Input/Output error

I checked the HOWTOs, FAQs, READMEs with the PPP. I also searched the net
for mailing list archives. I've only seen the question posted at various
times but never an answer (well a hungarian site seems to have it but I am
limited to english).

I've setup PPP several times before with multiple machines and modems with
Kernel 2.0.33 and an older version of PPP. So clearly something has changed
in the kernel or PPP that is messing it up. Just don't know what!

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rao

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:27:24

> I am having problems using pppd (ppp 2.3.11 [and ppp 2.4.0]) with linux
> kernel 2.2.16 (both from the slackware 7.1 distribution.).
> When I try to fire up a ppp connection (using the script ppp-go generated by
> the pppsetup program), pppd dies and the file /var/log/syslog has a message
> from the "chat" program saying that "Can't get terminal parameters -
> Input/output error".

There are various reason for this message.  It means that chat can't
get parameters that it needs from the device file, /dev/ttyS0 in your
case.  Check to make sure that it is configured correctly and that
no other device is using it or it's IRQ.

Quote:> I tried to do it manually using minicom and manual starting of pppd. I
> started minicom and dialed into my ISP which initialized PPP. Then I quit
> _without_ resetting minicom and started pppd with the command "pppd -detach
> /dev/ttyS0 38400 &". I get the following error:
> ioctl(SIOCSIFMTU): No such device 19

This means that an attempt to set the PPP interface MTU failed because
there wasn't a PPP interface (19 is the "No such device" message number).

Quote:> tcflush failed: Input/Output error

This means that the ttyS0 buffer couldn't be cleared before pppd
terminated.

Quote:> I've setup PPP several times before with multiple machines and modems with
> Kernel 2.0.33 and an older version of PPP. So clearly something has changed
> in the kernel or PPP that is messing it up. Just don't know what!

It's not the kernel or pppd, unless one has been modified from the
standard editions.  I have pppd 2.3.11 and the 2.2.16 kernel on a box
here and they work fine together.

--

/* A salute to Inspector Baynes, of the Surry Constabulary, the only
   police Inspector to ever best Mr. Sherlock Holmes at his own game.

trouble ppp 2.3.11 & Kernel 2.2.16

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:19:44

Quote:>I hope this is an appropriate place to post this message. If not please
>indicate where it would be appropriate to post it.
>I am having problems using pppd (ppp 2.3.11 [and ppp 2.4.0]) with linux
>kernel 2.2.16 (both from the slackware 7.1 distribution.).
>When I try to fire up a ppp connection (using the script ppp-go generated by
>the pppsetup program), pppd dies and the file /var/log/syslog has a message
>from the "chat" program saying that "Can't get terminal parameters -
>Input/output error".

ppp itself can leave the terminal in a rather uncommunicative state.
Usually ppp can reset it, but you might want to try the perl script
(vbased on one by Carlson) in
www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/modem-chk.html
which includes one to reset the serial port if some program has left it
in a weird state. YOu might try that to see if it helps.

Quote:>I tried to do it manually using minicom and manual starting of pppd. I
>started minicom and dialed into my ISP which initialized PPP. Then I quit
>_without_ resetting minicom and started pppd with the command "pppd -detach
>/dev/ttyS0 38400 &". I get the following error:

This command is a bit weird. Yo utell it not to detach from its terminal
and then you put it into the background (ie, telling it to detach
itself.) Also, you do NOT want the speed there since minicom has already
set the speed.
Quote:>ioctl(SIOCSIFMTU): No such device 19

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:34:14

>>When I try to fire up a ppp connection (using the script ppp-go generated
>>by the pppsetup program), pppd dies and the file /var/log/syslog has a
>>message from the "chat" program saying that "Can't get terminal parameters
>>- Input/output error".
> ppp itself can leave the terminal in a rather uncommunicative state.

Yes, it surely can.  But I've never had pppd not be able to reopen a
device file that it closed (in the way that it usually closes it).

Quote:> Usually ppp can reset it, but you might want to try the perl script
> (vbased on one by Carlson) in
> www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/modem-chk.html
> which includes one to reset the serial port if some program has left it
> in a weird state. YOu might try that to see if it helps.

You also might get the latest stty program which has a new option, "-F
<device_filename>," to overcome the "uncommunicative state" in which pppd
leaves the device file (pppd disables the device file parameter clocal).
The standard input redirection "stty -a < /dev/ttySx" didn't, and likely
still doesn't, work after pppd finishes.

Quote:>>I tried to do it manually using minicom and manual starting of pppd. I
>>started minicom and dialed into my ISP which initialized PPP. Then I quit
>>_without_ resetting minicom and started pppd with the command "pppd -detach
>>/dev/ttyS0 38400 &". I get the following error:
> This command is a bit weird. Yo utell it not to detach from its terminal
> and then you put it into the background (ie, telling it to detach
> itself.) Also, you do NOT want the speed there since minicom has already
> set the speed.

It may not be as weird as you might think.  Before updetach came
along doing this was a way of getting messages sent to the terminal
while freeing the terminal for other use.

Relative to the speed, while minicom will set the speed, pppd will
reset it.  The device file always has some speed setting, which is
often changed by programs that use the device file.

/* When men do not regard govenmental measures as just and right
   they will find a way around them.  The effects extend beyond
   the source, generate widespread disrespect for the law, and
   promote corruption and *.          -Milton Friedman    */

trouble ppp 2.3.11 & Kernel 2.2.16

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:07:01

Quote:>Relative to the speed, while minicom will set the speed, pppd will
>reset it.  The device file always has some speed setting, which is
>often changed by programs that use the device file.

Yes, but in the middle of a session, after the modem has already opened
a line to  the far machine, I would not like to be playing around with
the speed of the computer to modem connection. At best this will work,
at worst it will totally confuse the modem, and cause it to drop the
connection.
As far as I recall, pppd will simply use the current speed of the serial
line if you do not give it a speed option, which is probably what you
want it to do.

1. need help with kernel patching 2.2.16 -> 2.2.16-1

Hello,

I am trying to get a clean 2.2.16-1 kernel source so I can do some LRP
development. I have downloaded the kernel-2.2.16-1.i386.srpm from
sourceforge and installed it. Inside of that I have untarred the 2.2.16
clean source. The problem I am having is that applying the patches produces
many errors. I have no idea about which order to apply them in and I think
this is the reason.

Can anyone tell me how to apply all the patches in the SRPM in the correct
order? Is there a shell script or something I am missing?

Thanks.

Erik Myllymaki

2. sendmail log question

3. ppp 2.3.11 not working

4. is my internal modem a winmodem?

5. Kernel 2.2.16 & PPP problems

6. Kernel image zeroed on crash

7. 2.3.11 ppp, framing errors are killing me

8. Compaq Deskpro NIC

9. ppp 2.3.11 hanging..

10. mod_ssl 2.3.11-1.3.6 & 2.2.8-STABLE install problems

11. Kernel 2.3.11 - error

12. Trouble w/ppp and 2.2.16.

13. Installing elm 2.3.11 on RS6000