Any recommendations for databases?

Post by Ben Sandle » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

I will be starting a project soon which will involve a few
moderate-sized databases.  We would like to be able to access them
programmatically with both Perl and Visual Basic so we can write both
web (to be running on Linux) and Windows frontends.  The database server
will be running on RH Linux 5.x.

Can anyone recommend a good free database engine for this?  I've heard
about mysql and postgresql, but I don't know anything about SQL yet.

Thanks,
Ben

-----------------------------
Ben Sandler
email me: ben at yucs dot org
-----------------------------

Post by Thornton Prim » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

> I will be starting a project soon which will involve a few
> moderate-sized databases.  We would like to be able to access them
> programmatically with both Perl and Visual Basic so we can write both
> web (to be running on Linux) and Windows frontends.  The database server
> will be running on RH Linux 5.x.

> Can anyone recommend a good free database engine for this?  I've heard
> about mysql and postgresql, but I don't know anything about SQL yet.

mysql is smaller and faster, but I don't believe that it supports the
same amount of SQL that PostgreSQL.

My experience is that mySQL is excellent for small databases, and
PostgreSQL is better for moderate and large databases.

I know there are ODBC drivers for PostgreSQL there are probably ODBC
drivers for mySQL.

I hate VB, though (even though I know it), so I have to put in my
anti-VB rant, but I'll give you the abbreviated version. Java is better.
It is supported on more platforms, and the development environments
(Visual Cafe and/or JBuilder) are as good if not better than VB. If you
need som VBX or OCX that won't work in Java (even though I believe some
Java development tools support these), C++Builder is the way to go. Mind
you, I am not particularly fond of Java either, it is just I really hate
VB.

thornton