HowTo configure sendmail for users without daemon?

HowTo configure sendmail for users without daemon?

Post by Stefan Farrenkop » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:45:35

Hello all,

I have problems with mail on a SuSE Linux 7.0 box. After I upgraded
some stuff (apache, php_mod, perl_mod, etc.) something is messed. This
is probably because of "yast" broke some configs?
The result is an error if I try to send mail as a non-root user. I get
an error message:
can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue): Permission denied
Can anybody give me a hint what's wrong?
I do not run a sendmail daemon, because that is not necessary. Mailing
is only used by some cronjobs and some scripts on that machine. Before
the upgrade this setting was working for me.

All the best and thx for your help
Stefan

--

HowTo configure sendmail for users without daemon?

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:24:19

Quote:> I have problems with mail on a SuSE Linux 7.0 box. After I upgraded
> some stuff (apache, php_mod, perl_mod, etc.) something is messed. This
> is probably because of "yast" broke some configs?
> The result is an error if I try to send mail as a non-root user. I get
> an error message:
> can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue): Permission denied

Did something change permissions of sendmail.  This is 7.3 but ownership
and permissions should be the same:

-r-sr-sr-x   1 root   root   1187800 Sep 23  2001 /usr/sbin/sendmail

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored
http://www.nsscc.com/ - free driver school Friday nights in March

HowTo configure sendmail for users without daemon?

Post by Stefan Farrenkop » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:25:36

Hi,

you were right :)) The suid bit was missing :(
Thanks for your help.

Stefan

: > I have problems with mail on a SuSE Linux 7.0 box. After I upgraded
: > some stuff (apache, php_mod, perl_mod, etc.) something is messed. This
: > is probably because of "yast" broke some configs?
: > The result is an error if I try to send mail as a non-root user. I get
: > an error message:
: > can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue): Permission denied

: Did something change permissions of sendmail.  This is 7.3 but ownership
: and permissions should be the same:

: -r-sr-sr-x   1 root   root   1187800 Sep 23  2001 /usr/sbin/sendmail

: --
: David Efflandt - All spam ignored
: http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
: http://www.nsscc.com/ - free driver school Friday nights in March

--

1. Building, Installing, and Configuring sendmail 8.8.x Mini HOWTO

: Over the past year or so, I've been developing a short document that explains
: how to get sendmail up and running.  There don't seem to be any alternatives
: except to read through excessively lengthy or obsolete documentation.  I've
: tried to cover all of the universal issues as well as several that should be
: of particular interest to the average Linux user.  Let me know what you think:

: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts/linux/sendmail-mini-howto

: Hopefully this document will eventually be incorporated into the LDP Mini
: HOWTO's.

: - --

: - --
: This article has been digitally signed by the moderator, using PGP.
: http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.

: PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.
: This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/liw/linux/cola.html

: Version: 2.6.3ia
: Charset: latin1

: iQCVAgUBNLJ3hFrUI/eHXJZ5AQHaEwQAukAgHTi9M6LeD3bn+fkVuiyxYBTCfqt1
: MvD+NPI4PnvbxzlEjHg1dKTGEcPYTRt3vMQKZ2PS5j1xbmW+QvDzhGVEAgV4vy68
: l07r/psqY7AeGEgY1t6NGE7s36YkosShwzXBVRT6v39ALFdFChfvY2UWJmsvYMp-2
: Xd1RTEObuNw=
: =qZIq
All I had to do was fill in the DS line, to direct outgoing mail to my ISP's
outgoing mail host.All I had to do was fill in the DS line, to direct outgoing mail to my ISP's
outgoing mail host.

2. How to use IPTABLES to simulate major network outages for testing purposes?

3. HOWTO: configure sendmail with SMTP AUTH as client

4. Socks setup?

5. A How configure sendmail without a permanent domain name?

6. $0 in Bourne shell

7. HOWTO change password without user-interaction

8. Netscape 2.0 Linux hoses my PPP connection

9. The User Manager Daemon - SENDMAIL problems!!

10. HOWTO configure web_dav for users?

11. Configure of sendmail with local users *and* clientproto.mc

12. How to configure sendmail user-database?

13. mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail