termcap & color question

Post by Paul Kimo » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I want to have mutt use colors in my xterm like it does on the console. I
> am now using the larger bsd termcap. What should the TERM variable be set
> to under an xterm to get mutt to show colors like on the console? Of
> course my `ls` does display colors with the default TERM=xterm under an xterm.

Usually mutt is built against slang, rather than ncurses.  If that's the
case, you may have to set the COLORTERM environment variable.  (I usually
set it to $TERM; I'm not sure whether the exact value matters.)

--

termcap & color question

Post by Justin B Willough » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have done a search via deja.com but have yet to find the answer to my
question.

I want to have mutt use colors in my xterm like it does on the console. I
am now using the larger bsd termcap. What should the TERM variable be set
to under an xterm to get mutt to show colors like on the console? Of
course my `ls` does display colors with the default TERM=xterm under an xterm.

Thanks,

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

termcap & color question

Post by T.E.Dicke » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have done a search via deja.com but have yet to find the answer to my
> question.
> I want to have mutt use colors in my xterm like it does on the console. I
> am now using the larger bsd termcap. What should the TERM variable be set
> to under an xterm to get mutt to show colors like on the console? Of
> course my `ls` does display colors with the default TERM=xterm under an xterm.

The XFree86 3.3.3.1 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
There's an faq at
        http://www.veryComputer.com/
        ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm

(you want terminfo, not termcap -- and the choice of $TERM really depends on
what you have for 'xterm')

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

termcap & color question

Post by T.E.Dicke » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>> I want to have mutt use colors in my xterm like it does on the console. I
>> am now using the larger bsd termcap. What should the TERM variable be set
>> to under an xterm to get mutt to show colors like on the console? Of
>> course my `ls` does display colors with the default TERM=xterm under an xterm.
> Usually mutt is built against slang, rather than ncurses.  If that's the

that's a matter of debat (the slang users are much louder, true, but mostly
because they don't know how to configure their terminals ;-)

Quote:> case, you may have to set the COLORTERM environment variable.  (I usually
> set it to $TERM; I'm not sure whether the exact value matters.)

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. termcap/terminfo question & vt220

        Does anyone have an authortative reason why captoinfo
chokes on some termcap definitions and not others? I have one
vt220 def that will not convert, when I try I get this error:
        captoinfo: TERM=dl: tgetent failed with return code 0
dl is the first name on the naming line of the termcap definition.

Thanks,
        Mike
        (SysAdmin to the Intelligent Robotics Lab at GSFC, Nasa.)

=-=-=-=-====-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=
Std. Disclaimers...
        Hey Wait, I found a workstation in my Pepsi. Wouldn't you
know they inadvertently left the monitor out when they packed it.
Hmmm... Gotta sue'm now... [--me :-]

2. Can "pppd" bind to a pty with "telnet" session over ethernet?

3. Termcap & keybrd macros & ibm 3270

4. Interviews & Idraw crash with a "Floating exception"

5. Complete Color Termcap/Terminfo for ANSI, etc.

6. script to clean up file names? (remove special characters)

7. how to enable color in termcap for console??

8. Solaris 2.5.1 and NIS+ running on an x86

9. screen colors and termcap?

10. DeCo and Color (Termcap)

11. Color Terminal Termcaps

12. termcap problem: no colors on xterm!!

13. Termcap and colors