X-server unable to get started - but it's set to start on boot!

X-server unable to get started - but it's set to start on boot!

Post by white blood cell » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello

I have a problem in that I edited my XF86Config file after configuring the
X-server, but now when I boot into Linux the screen never comes up. I did
set it so that the X-server starts on boot, and now key combinations such as
Ctrl-Alt- F1-F6, Backspace don't work. The only thing I can do is
Ctrl-Alt-Del. Can anyone suggest another key combination, or how to prevent
the X-server from starting?

Specs:
Redhat 6.1
XFree 4.0
GeForce graphics card
KDE desktop

TIA

Post by David . » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello

> I have a problem in that I edited my XF86Config file after configuring the
> X-server, but now when I boot into Linux the screen never comes up. I did
> set it so that the X-server starts on boot, and now key combinations such as
> Ctrl-Alt- F1-F6, Backspace don't work. The only thing I can do is
> Ctrl-Alt-Del. Can anyone suggest another key combination, or how to prevent
> the X-server from starting?

At the lilo prompt enter "linux 3" this will take you to a text console.
You can reconfigure X and then use startx to see if it will work. If you
want to disable X at boot time until you get it configured the do this:

 vi /etc/inittab
change the "5" in the line below to a "3" write the change and quit.

id:5:initdefault:

ID # 123538

X-server unable to get started - but it's set to start on boot!

Post by white blood cell » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Cheers. That works.

> > Hello

> > I have a problem in that I edited my XF86Config file after configuring
the
> > X-server, but now when I boot into Linux the screen never comes up. I
did
> > set it so that the X-server starts on boot, and now key combinations
such as
> > Ctrl-Alt- F1-F6, Backspace don't work. The only thing I can do is
> > Ctrl-Alt-Del. Can anyone suggest another key combination, or how to
prevent
> > the X-server from starting?

> At the lilo prompt enter "linux 3" this will take you to a text console.
> You can reconfigure X and then use startx to see if it will work. If you
> want to disable X at boot time until you get it configured the do this:

>  vi /etc/inittab
> change the "5" in the line below to a "3" write the change and quit.

> id:5:initdefault:

> --
> Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
> ID # 123538

1. XFree86 will not start - unable to connect to X-Server

Hello !
I'm rather new to linux and I'm just trying to get X to run.
I have created a .X.err-file where all the errors and successes during
X-loading are listed.
The last lines are as follows:
***Beginning of excerpt
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 111):  Server error.
***End of file

Can anyone help me and tell me what's wrong ?

thank you very much for your help.
Fabian Koenig.

2. Checking For New Mail??

3. 'X-server cannot be started..' message

4. zmodem resume under linux

5. WinLinux booting "The Grafics engine (x-server)was not started correctly

6. FPU error ???

7. RH6.2, x-server doesn't want to start

8. Screensaver in OpenServer 5 ?

9. X-server won't start, no shell except for root

10. can't start up a X-Server??

11. URGENT: X-server can't start on IBM ThinkPad 765D

12. X-server won't start on ThinkPad 765D!!

13. I messed up and now can't start X-server