Linux Installs

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi!
It is interesting that we arrive at completely opposite results.
Mine first encounter with Linux happened few years ago ( when Win 95  was young).

I got the package which included few distros and from curiosity tried them all.
For a greenhorn (modern terminology - newbie) not one of them was easy.
But the Red-Hat installation procedure reminded me so much of MS-Windows95
attitude "Just sit there (you idiot) and admire our performance" that till today
I have
aversion to Red Hat distros. (The Red Hat 6 CD is collecting dust on my shelf).
Slackware on the other hand, even using the very primitive (if you make a mistake

you cannot go back) installation procedure, at least assumed that you can read.
In meantime SuSE was born with Yast. This takes time to adjust, and to improve
your German, as some parts of help AND the SuSE Linux 6.2 book are in this
language.
But in 6.2 they put out a very impressive distro.
(After full installation I went back to Slak 4 - it felt like the old comfortably
slippers).
And this is the real beauty of Linux - it is as if you are on a party and a tray
of black bread
and cheese sandwitches is passing - you look at the tray for 15 seconds choosing
which one
to pick -  each of us can find her/his (European upbringing) preferences.
So as the SuSE slogan goes "Have a lot of fun..."
Stanislaw

1. Caldera Install to existing Linux install...

I was hoping the docs would mention it, but no luck.  Basically, I don't want
to install fresh... I have most things tuned well, but I'd like to use their
desktop and font server and stuff...

Is there a quick and easy way to do this?

--
Thumper!                                               Leporidae Extrordinhare

                  "Life is to achieve the Impossible"

2. Konqueror well messed up

3. problems with Mandrake Linux install on a sony 505F laptop - PCMCIA card install issue

4. getrusage? better in 2.1 kernels?

5. Linux Install + Adaptec 2740 Install

6. UNIX node info please

7. End of Linux Install (LILO Install)

8. A program you CAN'T kill with kill -9

9. how to sparc linux (suse linux) install ?

10. building linux from scratch without having linux installed

11. Corel Linux install--Windows 98 boots, Linux doesn't

12. Vendors of Linux boxes (w/ Linux installed.)

13. WIN95 Linux share a swap partition from new linux install?