How to make backspace key be backspace?

Post by John Krivits » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

My Linux system has a really annoying problem - the backspace key maps to the
delete key. In an Xterm I can use `stty erase ^?', but in any other X program
it's still the delete key.

I'm sure this is in a FAQ somewhere, but I have been unable to find it. I'd
rather not remap the delete key to a ^H because then the delete key won't work.

Any advice? Please CC me an e-mail. Thanks!

                                        jk

:
: I'm sure this is in a FAQ somewhere, but I have been unable to find it. I'd
: rather not remap the delete key to a ^H because then the delete key won't work.

Look in the mini-HOWTOs

I have in my ".xinitrc" file:

  ##### Fix for Motif, etc. Backspace problem:
  xmodmap -e " keycode 22 = BackSpace "
  xmodmap -e "keycode 107 = Delete"

and in .Xdefaults:

  ! In an Xterm we want '<-' to be DEL, and 'delete' to be VT100 'remove'.
  *.VT100.Translations: #override <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)\n\
        <Key>Delete:    string(0x1b) string("[3~") \n\

And .emacs, .zshrc have a few codes too.

--

 Quotes are a burden to others, .signatures are a prison for one's self.

Finger for PGP. f'print = 31 3B D9 E9 DA 07 14 8B  5D A4 8B 25 FC 6B B8 55

Post by Andries Brouw » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

: My Linux system has a really annoying problem - the backspace key maps to the
: delete key. In an Xterm I can use `stty erase ^?', but in any other X program
: it's still the delete key.

Opinions are divided about what should be done.
Read the Keyboard HOWTO and the Backspace HOWTO for a lot of details.

[One possible answer is: make sure that things are as you want them
on the console, and when X is booted it mimicks the console keymap
as far as possible. On the console you use loadkeys.]

1. Can the BackSpace key send an ASCII Backspace (^H)?

The subject says it all.  How can I set it up so the backspace key on
my keyboard sends a backspace instead of a delete?

I've looked through the FAQs, the HOWTOs, and have tried to do it with
loadkeys.  No success.

Email response preferred.

Thanks,

University of California, San Diego     Department of Cognitive Science

University of California, San Diego     Department of Cognitive Science

2. Sound volume in slackware 3.5

3. Making the Backspace key work using a remote X server

4. Best CD-writer for Linux?

5. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

6. UNIX librariy .a vs .so

7. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

8. IP Chains

9. backspace key is behaving like a delete key

10. Backspace key becomes ^H in mail, man, etc; DEL key becomes ^[[3

11. backspace does delete not backspace

12. backspace in X vs backspace in console

13. how to set backspace as backspace, not delete?