About FTP , about anonymous, about ELF and COFF, about command "ls" ?!

About FTP , about anonymous, about ELF and COFF, about command "ls" ?!

Post by Baryshev Alexe » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi !
I to deleted  support format "a.out" from kernels and
now users anonymous not worked commands "ls" :(
How me to be now ?

--
                \\\|///
                | ~ ~ |

|                     Oooo.          |
+-----------.oooO-----(  )-----------+
            (  )       ) /
             \ (      (_/
              \_)

About FTP , about anonymous, about ELF and COFF, about command "ls" ?!

Post by Chris Parke » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Help,

I am trying to install a third party database from a CD-ROM, the
files are in a tar archive and can easily be extracted. The database
was designed to run under SCO-UNIX.

When I try to run the executables I get the following error messasge:

        "Command not found"

even though I am typing in the correct path and file name.

If I use the file command on the executables I get the following
info:

program_name: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, not
stripped

which is the same at the native executables which I can run.

Any ideas how I can get these programs to run ?

All ideas are appreciated, please Email me directly, I will post the
solution when I get it.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Post by joat » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> When I try to run the executables I get the following error messasge:

>         "Command not found"

> even though I am typing in the correct path and file name.

What exactly were you typing in and what are the file permissions
of the program that you were trying to run?

-- Linux User Support Team: www.concentric.net/~joat1/lusthome.html --
*What to do if you find the monkey that can tap out the Declaration  *
*of independence on his typewriter: Refer to him as Mr. President and*
*immediately contact the sectret service!                            *

About FTP , about anonymous, about ELF and COFF, about command "ls" ?!

Post by Robert-Jan Oosterl » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello Baryshev,

: Hi !
: I to deleted  support format "a.out" from kernels and
: now users anonymous not worked commands "ls" :(
: How me to be now ?

I had the same problem and teh only answer was to compile
a.out support back in.

Greetings Robert-Jan

Post by Ashok Aiy » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Hello Baryshev,

>: Hi !
>: I to deleted  support format "a.out" from kernels and
>: now users anonymous not worked commands "ls" :(
>: How me to be now ?

>I had the same problem and teh only answer was to compile
>a.out support back in.

Or replace /home/ftp/bin/ls with a statically compiled ELF ls,
assuming that /home/ftp is the anonymous ftp root.

Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research

Post by Peter Kee » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hi !
> I to deleted  support format "a.out" from kernels and
> now users anonymous not worked commands "ls" :(
> How me to be now ?

recompile "ls" and put it into your ftp /bin directory.
Ah yes, you better compile it statically.

Peter
--
"Software piracy has enormously helped to spread Microsoft's products
 all over the world - don't."

Post by Baryshev Alexe » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> >Hello Baryshev,

> >: Hi !
> >: I to deleted  support format "a.out" from kernels and
> >: now users anonymous not worked commands "ls" :(
> >: How me to be now ?

> >I had the same problem and teh only answer was to compile
> >a.out support back in.

> Or replace /home/ftp/bin/ls with a statically compiled ELF ls,
> assuming that /home/ftp is the anonymous ftp root.

When to get me sources command's "LS" ?
So that me to replace necessary or source or prepared binary file.
Who can to give me this?

--
                \\\|///
                | ~ ~ |

Post by Dave Clo » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>When I try to run the executables I get the following error messasge:
>    "Command not found"
>even though I am typing in the correct path and file name.

Almost certainly the program you are directly running is only a front
end to the real system. It is somehow trying to invoke one or more
other programs in your package and it can't find them. Is the data
base directory in your path? Do you have any necessary libraries?
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Politics is the business of getting

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to install a third party database from a CD-ROM, the
>files are in a tar archive and can easily be extracted. The database
>was designed to run under SCO-UNIX.

>When I try to run the executables I get the following error messasge:

>    "Command not found"

>even though I am typing in the correct path and file name.

>If I use the file command on the executables I get the following
>info:

>program_name: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, not
>stripped

>which is the same at the native executables which I can run.

Unfortunately there is  more to it than that.  Not only must the file
format and CPU be comaptible but also the system calls and library
calls.  That's where iBCS comes in.