Bootable Linux CD "no emulation" mode?

Post by Bart Lagerwe » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:54:53

Hi all,

I'm a programmer and I know my stuff about creating all kind of bootable
CDs.

I already know howto create a bootable CD using a Linux "floppy image" in
BIOS or DISKEMU "floppy emulation" mode.

Does anybody know howto create a bootable linux CD, in "no emulation" mode.

Can Lilo be used in "no-emulation" mode, or some other loader?

Regards,
Bart.

--
Bart Lagerweij - http://www.nu2.nu

Bootable Linux CD "no emulation" mode?

Post by Tauno Voipi » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:26:59

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I'm a programmer and I know my stuff about creating all kind of bootable
> CDs.

> I already know howto create a bootable CD using a Linux "floppy image" in
> BIOS or DISKEMU "floppy emulation" mode.

> Does anybody know howto create a bootable linux CD, in "no emulation"
mode.

> Can Lilo be used in "no-emulation" mode, or some other loader?

The bootable CD 'El Torito' specification is designed to run in floppy
emulation mode - the only thing that can be booted from the CD is a floppy
image. Point your favourite search engine to 'El Torito'.

The setup is a property of the BIOS CD driver, it has nothing to do when the
booted system is up and running. The specification tells how the emulation
can be turned off, but you have to have some other CD drivers in the memory
(from the emulated floppy image) before doing that.

Tauno Voipio

Post by Juergen Pfan » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:35:47

> Hi all,

> I'm a programmer and I know my stuff about creating all kind of bootable
> CDs.

> I already know howto create a bootable CD using a Linux "floppy image" in
> BIOS or DISKEMU "floppy emulation" mode.

> Does anybody know howto create a bootable linux CD, in "no emulation" mode.

Excerpt of "mkisofs" man page :
       -no-emul-boot
              Specifies that the boot image used  to  create  "El
              Torito" bootable CDs is a 'no emulation' image. The
              system will load and  execute  this  image  without
              performing any disk emulation.
       -boot-load-seg segment_address
              Specifies the load  segment  address  of  the  boot
              image for no-emulation "El Torito" CDs.
       -boot-load-size load_sectors
              Specifies  the  number of "virtual" (512-byte) sec-
              tors to load in no-emulation mode.  The default  is
              to load the entire boot file.  Some BIOSes may have
              problems if this is not a multiple of 4.

...and many more options around creation of "El Torito" bootable CDS.

Quote:> Can Lilo be used in "no-emulation" mode, or some other loader?

Sorry, don't know this one. I only burnt floppy-emulation CDs
so far.

Quote:> Regards,
> Bart.

HTH at least a little bit

Juergen

Post by Bart Lagerwe » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:19:41

>> Hi all,

>> I'm a programmer and I know my stuff about creating all kind of
>> bootable CDs.

>> I already know howto create a bootable CD using a Linux "floppy image"
>> in BIOS or DISKEMU "floppy emulation" mode.

>> Does anybody know howto create a bootable linux CD, in "no emulation"
>mode.

>> Can Lilo be used in "no-emulation" mode, or some other loader?

>The bootable CD 'El Torito' specification is designed to run in floppy
>emulation mode - the only thing that can be booted from the CD is a
>floppy image. Point your favourite search engine to 'El Torito'.

The specification also has "harddisk" (type 4) and "raw" (no-emulation,
type 0) mode.

No emulation mode is used by NT4/W2K and others like "diskemu.bin" to boot
from CD, without the need of some kind of floppy emulation. In this mode
the entire CD can be read using int13h/ah=42h (extended int13) calls.

Quote:>The setup is a property of the BIOS CD driver, it has nothing to do when
>the booted system is up and running. The specification tells how the
>emulation can be turned off, but you have to have some other CD drivers
>in the memory (from the emulated floppy image) before doing that.

Or... for Dos you can load diskemu.bin/eltorito.sys.
Eltorito.sys is (the first?) hardware independent CD-Rom driver that loads
blocks from the CD-Rom using extended int13 calls.

More info on diskemu.bin and eltorito.sys can be found at:
http://www.nu2.nu/diskemu

--
Bart Lagerweij - http://www.nu2.nu

Bootable Linux CD "no emulation" mode?

Post by Bart Lagerwe » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:23:49

Quote:

>Excerpt of "mkisofs" man page :
>       -no-emul-boot
>              Specifies that the boot image used  to  create  "El
>              Torito" bootable CDs is a 'no emulation' image. The
>              system will load and  execute  this  image  without
>              performing any disk emulation.
>       -boot-load-seg segment_address
>              Specifies the load  segment  address  of  the  boot
>              image for no-emulation "El Torito" CDs.
>       -boot-load-size load_sectors
>              Specifies  the  number of "virtual" (512-byte) sec-
>              tors to load in no-emulation mode.  The default  is
>              to load the entire boot file.  Some BIOSes may have
>              problems if this is not a multiple of 4.

Yep, as I said: "I know my stuff about creating all kind of
bootable CDs."

Try searching google with "how to create a bootable cd" any look at the #1
entry ;-)))

I need to know if there is any linux loader that can load linux completely
from the booted CD using "extended int13 calls"(int13h/ah=42h).

--
Bart Lagerweij - http://www.nu2.nu

Bootable Linux CD "no emulation" mode?

Post by Bart Lagerwe » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:16:03

After some digging I found it:

ISOLINUX - http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php

--
Bart Lagerweij - http://www.nu2.nu