Problems w/ US Robotics Sportster 56K Fax/Data Serial Modem

Problems w/ US Robotics Sportster 56K Fax/Data Serial Modem

Post by Ken Li » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00



I believe the reason I'm getting 31,200 is because the modem doesn't support
V.90.  It is rather old, so that might be the problem.  Also, the log
returns error type 15.  The modem is set at COM1, and it is detected by
Linux.  I can dial, but I can't log on.  It is set at ttyS0.

Ken Liu


> > I just got an above mentioned modem, and tried to get it to work.  In
> > Windows, it connects at a maximum of 31,200, which is abnormal, since I
used
> > a winmodem before and I mostly got 56k.  I know it is not the isps
fault.

> It's not unusual at all for a 56K modem to connect at 31,200. It can be
> due to many causes, one of them being phone line signal quality.

> > Also, in Linux, it doesn't work at all!  It can dial, but when it tries
to
> > log on to the network, it returns error type 15.  There are jumpers in
the
> > back, which I assume are causing the problem.  I don't know what jumper
> > configuration I need to fix my problem.  Does anyone know what is wrong?

> If it works under Windows, it's probably not the jumpers.
> When you say "it returns error type 15", what is "it"? Is it in your
> system log?
> Also, what COM port is it supposed to be, COM1? COM2? Which ever it is,
> check for the correct tty port being recognized by Linux (ttyS00 = COM1,
> ttyS01 = COM2, ...). If Linux doesn't see the tty port, it doesn't see
> the modem.

> --
> Mark Bratcher

> ---------------------------------------------------------
> Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

 
 
 

Problems w/ US Robotics Sportster 56K Fax/Data Serial Modem

Post by Ken Li » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00


It is CHAP, which is what I set the authentication to.

Ken Liu


> > I just got an above mentioned modem, and tried to get it to work.  In
> > Windows, it connects at a maximum of 31,200, which is abnormal, since I
used
> > a winmodem before and I mostly got 56k.  I know it is not the isps
fault.
> > Also, in Linux, it doesn't work at all!  It can dial, but when it tries
to
> > log on to the network, it returns error type 15.  There are jumpers in
the
> > back, which I assume are causing the problem.  I don't know what jumper
> > configuration I need to fix my problem.  Does anyone know what is wrong?

> > Ken Liu

> As for linux, if it is dialing and connecting, then the modem is
> working. more likely it is your authentication setup. Is your ISP using
> PAP or CHAP ?

> Sometimes the max speed you can get is dependent on the telephone
> company setup, the number of analog to didital conversion between you
> and them. take a look at 56k.com, I think there was an article that
> discussed why 33k might be the max you can get.

> --

> Bob Martin


 
 
 

1. Problem Installing US Robotics Sportster 56k Modem on RH 5.0

    I am a very novice user of Linux. I got RH 5.0 installed.
May I know what are the best ways and programs you
recommend me to install US Robotics Sportster 56k Modem?

    I try to use seyon (ver 2.1 rev. 4b) which comes with the RH 5.0.

I got an error of

    No such file or directory.

Thank a lot in advance for you r help and time.

By the way, what web browser do you recommend for Linux?

2. undocumented flags in EP/IX shell (Cray)

3. Problems with U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT PnP modem

4. PATCH: fix __NO_VERSION__ in audio_syms

5. US Robotics 56K FAX INT PNP modem problem

6. RTC error at installation FreeBSD 3.1

7. US Robotics Sportster 56K modems and AIX 4.3.2

8. more ptys

9. US Robotics Sportster 56K Modem

10. US Robotics 56k X2 FAX Modem external.

11. US Robotics 56k Fax ISA PnP 5687-03 modem

12. US Robotics 56K External Fax Modem

13. Fax modem US Robotics 56k Message