Using Compaq Remote Insight board (telnet) with Linux

Using Compaq Remote Insight board (telnet) with Linux

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:30:16

Hi,

I'm trying to get the telnet connection to a "CPQ Remote Insight
Lights-Out Edition" from a Linux box working, it works without
problems from some M$ box using the provided telnet client.

So I'm sure it's just a problem with a proper /etc/termcap
entry, case I connect I can enter the username.

But after displaying the entered username a line below, you
are disconnected within a minute, that's all.

Login Name: username
                username

Sure the M$ telnet client is extremely broken, but works fine
with this board. If someone has an idea, tried numerous
/etc/termcap entries none does work, I'd be glad to hear.

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

:
: So I'm sure it's just a problem with a proper /etc/termcap
: entry, case I connect I can enter the username.
:
: But after displaying the entered username a line below, you
: are disconnected within a minute, that's all.
:
: Login Name: username
:               username
:
: Sure the M$ telnet client is extremely broken, but works fine
: with this board. If someone has an idea, tried numerous
: /etc/termcap entries none does work, I'd be glad to hear.
:
Maybe the board was designed to work with MS Telnet, the same way
Winmodems are designed to work with Hyperterminal.

Anyway here's a Telnet client you can use to debug the connection:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

Use "set telnet debug on" to watch the negotations.  Use "help
set telnet" to see all the adjustments you can make to get the
connection working.  Read:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/telnet.html

for details.

Note, in particular, the "set telnet bug" commands to accommodate
to bugs in the Telnet server.

- Frank

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:42:15

> : I'm trying to get the telnet connection to a "CPQ Remote Insight
> : Lights-Out Edition" from a Linux box working, it works without
> : problems from some M$ box using the provided telnet client.

Quote:> Maybe the board was designed to work with MS Telnet, the same way
> Winmodems are designed to work with Hyperterminal.

Probably.;(

Quote:> Anyway here's a Telnet client you can use to debug the connection:
>   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

Yep, works great, just 'set telnet echo remote'. However, it works
with conserver without any special config.
;)

Thx