Software Inventory

Software Inventory

Post by Lisa Johnso » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 06:20:13



Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
to determine what software is running on it?
 
 
 

Software Inventory

Post by Jean-David Beye » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:32:56



> Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> to determine what software is running on it?

pstree will show that.
--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 5:30pm up 3 days, 9 min, 2 users, load average: 3.34, 3.39, 3.19

 
 
 

Software Inventory

Post by Linux Use » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:33:00


Hello,

You might look at Caldera's Volution. It supports any linux distribution
that's uses RPMS. It might be a little overkill though it does more then
just software inventory.

http://www.caldera.com/volution/

Cheers,
        Jim H


> Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> to determine what software is running on it?

 
 
 

Software Inventory

Post by ljj » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:38:13


I'll take a look, thanks!

> Hello,

> You might look at Caldera's Volution. It supports any linux distribution
> that's uses RPMS. It might be a little overkill though it does more then
> just software inventory.

> http://www.caldera.com/volution/

> Cheers,
>         Jim H


> > Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> > to determine what software is running on it?

 
 
 

Software Inventory

Post by ljj » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:44:57


The will show it if the app happens to be running at the time.  Not sure
how to catch everythingm running or not.


> > Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> > to determine what software is running on it?

> pstree will show that.
> --
>  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
>  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
> /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
> ^^-^^ 5:30pm up 3 days, 9 min, 2 users, load average: 3.34, 3.39, 3.19

 
 
 

Software Inventory

Post by Dan Whit » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 09:15:18




Quote:> Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> to determine what software is running on it?

If the system uses a package manager, then you can use it to list the
software installed. On RPM based systems:

rpm -qa | less

On Debian based systems:

dpkg -l "*" | less

- Dan White

 
 
 

Software Inventory

Post by Linux Use » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 10:39:24





> > Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> > to determine what software is running on it?

> If the system uses a package manager, then you can use it to list the
> software installed. On RPM based systems:

> rpm -qa | less

> On Debian based systems:

> dpkg -l "*" | less

I guess I was assuming from where she said "query a Linux, Unix or Irix
server" that she needed something that would do remote queries.

Jim H

 
 
 

Software Inventory

Post by Jean-David Beye » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:26:15



> The will show it if the app happens to be running at the time.

Well, that is what the original poster asked. I assumed that by
"running" she meant that it had an entry in the process table, and
pstree shows that. If she meant something that (one of) the
Program-Counter(s) was pointing at, that would have been a different
question, I think.

Quote:> Not sure
> how to catch everythingm running or not.

If you think she meant every executable thing in the machine, that would
be tough. A subset would be available on Red Hat - like installations by
running rpm -qa. Another approach might be to do a find for all files
with an x-permission-bit set.



> > > Is there anything out there that will query a Linux, Unix or Irix server
> > > to determine what software is running on it?

> > pstree will show that.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 9:20pm up 3 days, 3:59, 4 users, load average: 3.24, 3.26, 3.20
 
 
 

1. Software Inventory

Ist there anything out there that will perform a software self-discovery
on a Linux or Irix server?  I am looking for tools, scripts, anything,
that will generate a list of installed software on a server.  I've
looked everywhere!!!

2. UUCP over TCP connection

3. Looking for a Software Inventory Tools

4. new lilo error

5. Software Inventory

6. Success with Quick P54-TSW mother board ?

7. software inventory

8. kfree

9. help! software inventory

10. unix software inventory

11. Hard- and software inventory of workstations on SCO Unix?

12. accounting/sales/inventory software

13. Inventory Tracking Software needed