CD Rom Writer blues

Post by Rick Dearma » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have purchased a Dysan CR-622 CD Rom writer (2x6 speed) and Installed
on my system ( Redhat version 5.0), I have managed to read the CD-Rom
writer Howto, and have configured the system with SCSI emultation. (The
drive is APHowever none of the Linux CD-Writing software I can find will
do anything. I have attempted to use "cdrecord -scanbus" but it returns
no CD-Writer found. However I can mount it and read from it and do
anything I like except write to it?

The Kernel sees it, the bios sees it. What am I doing wrong here? Any
Suggestions would be appreciated. I'll include my start up message for
the drive if that helps.

hdc: CRD-8160B, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: Dysan CR-622 ATAPI IDE CD-R, ATAPI CDROM drive  <- This is the
culprit.
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

Thank you in advance.

CD Rom Writer blues

Post by James Rutte » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I tried a simliar thing with my HP 7110i.. SCSI emulation does not allow
writing as far as i can discern.  Looks like we're out of luck until
cdrecord and/or xcdroast support IDE drives.

Jim

>I have purchased a Dysan CR-622 CD Rom writer (2x6 speed) and Installed
>on my system ( Redhat version 5.0), I have managed to read the CD-Rom
>writer Howto, and have configured the system with SCSI emultation. (The
>drive is APHowever none of the Linux CD-Writing software I can find will
>do anything. I have attempted to use "cdrecord -scanbus" but it returns
>no CD-Writer found. However I can mount it and read from it and do
>anything I like except write to it?

>The Kernel sees it, the bios sees it. What am I doing wrong here? Any
>Suggestions would be appreciated. I'll include my start up message for
>the drive if that helps.

>hdc: CRD-8160B, ATAPI CDROM drive
>hdd: Dysan CR-622 ATAPI IDE CD-R, ATAPI CDROM drive  <- This is the
>culprit.
>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
>md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
>scsi : 0 hosts.
>scsi : detected total.

>Thank you in advance.

CD Rom Writer blues

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I have used both the CR-622 and the HP 7110i writers under Linux.  I didn't
>have good results with the CR-622 (of course, I didn't have any luck with it
>under Windows either), but the HP has performed well.

>There are a few problems with the SCSI emulation however.  I noticed that I
>was unable to play audio CDs under the emulation, which also means that I
>couldn't write them.  My system would also hang on occasion when I attempted
>to access the device for normal use.  The strange thing was that it NEVER
>happened during the read/burn process, so I never had any failures.

>For best results, I keep a kernel with SCSI-emulation and a regular ATAPI
>kernel.  I only use the SCSI kernel when I want to burn an image, the rest of
>the time I use the ATAPI version.

You should wait some time, there is a new alpha of cdda2wav that uses
my SCSI library from cdrecord (but unfortunately not yet the ATAPI mode sense
hack) if this is included too, you will be ablt to read audio with the
SCSI hostadapter emulation as well.

If you have luck the ATAPI aware cdda2wav will be out in a week.

Joerg

--

CD Rom Writer blues

Post by Joerg Schilli » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Great.  I really appreciate the work you have put in to allow recording under
>Linux.  Do you have any plans to include native ATAPI support in future
>versions, so that the SCSI emulation will not be neccessary ?

Cdrecord uses native ATAPI support! I will not change it.

ATAPI is SCSI protocol elements over IDE transport. The CD-RW drives do _not_
have IDE commands to support the write mode, you must use ATAPI. The name
SCSI emulation is wrong. It is rather SCSI hostadapter emulation. This is the
right way to support these drives. Solaris uses a unique transport system for
SCSI/IDE in the kernel since 1991.

Linux should change its default to do it the same way.

Your problem is that the "sc" driver does not support the new standard
conforming drives. If this driver would support SCSI-3/mmc CD-ROM drives
correctly, ATAPI drives would work the same way they are currently working
with the IDE driver.

Quote:>> You should wait some time, there is a new alpha of cdda2wav that uses

Post by Rick Dearma » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I have used both the CR-622 and the HP 7110i writers under Linux.  I didn't
> have good results with the CR-622 (of course, I didn't have any luck with it
> under Windows either), but the HP has performed well.

> There are a few problems with the SCSI emulation however.  I noticed that I
> was unable to play audio CDs under the emulation, which also means that I
> couldn't write them.  My system would also hang on occasion when I attempted
> to access the device for normal use.  The strange thing was that it NEVER
> happened during the read/burn process, so I never had any failures.

> For best results, I keep a kernel with SCSI-emulation and a regular ATAPI
> kernel.  I only use the SCSI kernel when I want to burn an image, the rest of
> the time I use the ATAPI version.

  I have gotten the SCSi Emulation to work and it detects the drive but it
detects seven times, and my other IDE CD-ROM another seven times. Did you have
this problem? If not what kernel where you using. and could you send me a copy
of your .config file you used to build your kernel? I think I must be doing
something terribly wrong here.

At least it is encouraging to fine out that it will work if I work hard enough!

CD Rom Writer blues

Post by Rick Dearma » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I've never ran into that problem.  I'm currently using a 2.0.31 Linux
> kernel.  After you enabled the SCSI emulation, did you disable the ATAPI CD-
> ROM support?

Yes ..

Quote:

> I'll email my config file to you soon.  I'm currently booted under Windows
> and can't access it at the moment......

EXCELLENT! Thanks!

1. CD Rom / CD ROM RW blues

O am having problems with CD-roms on my system

(RH5.0 Intel, IDE 24x on Sec Master, Ricoh CD-RW on Sec Slave, AMD K6)

The Richoh scans ok, but the kernal can not scan the 24x at boot.

Any ideas of kernal parameters needed? Also, any help on a CD-RW program
for X  or normal would be nice.

PS. Is it my imagination or is Red Hat 5.0 sick?

Thanks

darryl

2. MD5 Checksums on Solaris 9/8

3. IDE CD Writer and IDE CD-ROM

4. "Video Blaster FS200" driver

5. cdrecord thinks CD-writer is CD-ROM

6. scsi emulation problem

7. CD-writer and CD-rom: some simple questions

8. Forwarding with iptables

9. Troubles with CD-Writer and now alos with CD-rom

10. CD-ROM- Writer wanted for AIX-Operating System CD's

11. CD writer does not detect the presence of a CD-ROM

12. HP CD-Writer CD-R/RW+DVD-ROM (9900ci) works with Linux

13. Code that determine if a device is cd writer or just a cd-rom