Playing X-Wing Alliance through Linux firewall

Playing X-Wing Alliance through Linux firewall

Post by Sean Aker » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:29:02

I'm trying to play X-Wing Alliance through my SuSE Linux based firewall. I
have no problems with Halflife/TFC or Star Trek Armada. I have downloaded the
Zone client software and it works. In fact it all works up until I actually
connect to someone hosting a game at which point the connection fails. I am
using an NTL cable modem for my Internet connection and my firewall is
configured using pmfirewall.

Any suggestions as to what I need to add to my firewall to play this game from
my Windows machine ?

Sean.

Post by glitc » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:42:57

> I'm trying to play X-Wing Alliance through my SuSE Linux based firewall. I
> have no problems with Halflife/TFC or Star Trek Armada. I have downloaded the
> Zone client software and it works. In fact it all works up until I actually
> connect to someone hosting a game at which point the connection fails. I am
> using an NTL cable modem for my Internet connection and my firewall is
> configured using pmfirewall.

> Any suggestions as to what I need to add to my firewall to play this game from
> my Windows machine ?

one suggestion is to look at your logs to see what the error is in the
first place. that is the first step.

Post by Sean » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 01:26:45

>> I'm trying to play X-Wing Alliance through my SuSE Linux based firewall. I
>> have no problems with Halflife/TFC or Star Trek Armada. I have downloaded the
>> Zone client software and it works. In fact it all works up until I actually
>> connect to someone hosting a game at which point the connection fails. I am
>> using an NTL cable modem for my Internet connection and my firewall is
>> configured using pmfirewall.

>> Any suggestions as to what I need to add to my firewall to play this game from
>> my Windows machine ?

>one suggestion is to look at your logs to see what the error is in the
>first place. that is the first step.

No errors anywhere in the logs (/var/log/firewall or /var/log/messages
or /var/log/warn). It's not violating my firewall it's just not
connecting to the hosting machine. I'll try upping the logging for the
firewall and see what happens.

Sean.

1. Playing X-Wing Alliance though Linux firewall

I'm trying to play X-Wing Alliance through my SuSE Linux based firewall. I
have no problems with Halflife/TFC or Star Trek Armada. I have downloaded the
Zone client software and it works. In fact it all works up until I actually
connect to someone hosting a game at which point the connection fails. I am
using an NTL cable modem for my Internet connection and my firewall is
configured using pmfirewall.

Any suggestions as to what I need to add to my firewall to play this game from
my Windows machine ?

Sean.

2. How to Kill PPPD Process After Hangup!

3. "au-play" (plays *.au's thru speaker, no sound card needed)

4. Fair IP routing

5. Help on firewall ruleset for routing X (Exceed) thru the Linux firewall

6. All login sessions are in use

7. SCO and Linux

8. Anyone running a Linux-based firewall thru ISDN?

9. VPN Thru Linux Firewall

10. vpn thru linux firewall

11. vpn thru linux firewall?

12. Linux to Win Share; diff. subnets; thru firewall - Help pls